Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

weird knock/rub

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 May 2010, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
sav
Fresh Scooby

weird knock/rub

hi all, i have a 94 import wrx when driving at low speed 10mph and gently put my foot on the brake i get a rubbing and knocking sound from the n/s rear wheel area. this is very confusing i had new pads and discs recently i thought it may be a sticky caliper causing the rubbing but that doesnt explain the knock, maybe a c v joint? any help would be appreciated as i need the car friday night to pick my little girl up and go safari park on sat so i want it 100% safe

thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2010, 10:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: weird knock/rub

Have you checked the shock and spring ? Does it feel any different when you drive or brake ?
Could it be something in the car or in the boot ?
Old 05 May 2010, 11:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Is the rubbing sound kinda like metal to metal if so could be brake sheild rubbing against disc.
Knocking could be the pads moving round a bit if the shims not on the back of the pads I have my front and back shims off the back of pad helps with heat escaping faster from the pad so better braking performance but mine knock a little bit also check the drop links.
Old 06 May 2010, 04:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post
Is the rubbing sound kinda like metal to metal if so could be brake sheild rubbing against disc.
Knocking could be the pads moving round a bit if the shims not on the back of the pads I have my front and back shims off the back of pad helps with heat escaping faster from the pad so better braking performance but mine knock a little bit also check the drop links.
Daz : if there is too much movement you stand the chance of the pad twisting slightly in the caliper and sticking fella,

*Hopefully I havent given you bad advice that may result in danger or loss of life but you do follow these instructions at your own risk

OP : Jack the rear of the car up and axle stand it for safety and with the front wheels chocked drop the car out off gear and take the handbrake off,
Now see if there is any movement in the wheel, grab the wheel at 9 & 3 (if u imaging the wheel is a clock face) and see if there is any movement as u wiggle it in all directions and then do the same at 12 & 6,(your feeling for ANY movement that isnt smooth or of a rolling type, so if you can move the wheel in and out something isnt right as the wheel should only be able to rotate)
If you cant feel anything move on to the next step,

Now remove the NS wheel as Darren said check for the guard fouling the disc,
Then check to see if the pads are loose or if there is a retaining pin or anything obvious loose like a caliper or something daft,
Did you fit the pads and are they the right way ?
Can you whip the pins out and check the pads for any scores/marks where it may indicate the pads rubbing on a disc lip or something ?

report back once your happy or if you find anything.
Old 06 May 2010, 07:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

if were giving out advice maybe we all need liability insurance ha ha ha remember where there's blame, there's a claim !
Whatever next, a license just to own a tv ?
Old 06 May 2010, 08:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
sav
Fresh Scooby

thanks guys going to have a look this moring, last night the sound was pretty loud this morning its quiet
Old 06 May 2010, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-WRX-Import View Post
if were giving out advice maybe we all need liability insurance ha ha ha remember where there's blame, there's a claim !
Whatever next, a license just to own a tv ?
Thats why you include a disclaimer anyone doing Risk assessments should be able to sort that out lol
Old 06 May 2010, 04:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
sav
Fresh Scooby

cars back together, brakes working fine taken apart and put back together and sat in calpiers nicely, no play in wheel brgs, c v joints good, put car in mot shaker plates and no play in any suspension parts, wheels fine and tyres fine. very confused but ill take car for a drive on way home and see what happens
Old 06 May 2010, 04:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

nice one fella, sounds like you had fun day !
those disclaimers aren't worth jack mate, have you seen the one in car parks ? Makes me laugh.
Old 06 May 2010, 06:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
sav
Fresh Scooby

well all going fine now, maybe something wasnt sat correctly. atleast i get to play now ( off to the petrol station via a big detour ) god i love these cars
Old 06 May 2010, 06:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Glad you got it sorted and ENJOY
Old 07 May 2010, 12:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Glad you sorted it fella
Ya just a small bit of movement Brett noting serious amazing did you ever try running the pads with out the shims it actually works feel the brake performance least 20%better than when the shims were on especially when giving it the beans on nice bendy roads using the brakes a lot only thing they squel more but so what