Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Clunky Diff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Feb 2010, 07:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Re: Clunky Diff

The oil is coming from around the diff where the drain plug is ( not from the plug itself) I got another propshaft & the rubbers seem alot firmer than my ones. Thought it might be worth swapping them over.
Old 01 Feb 2010, 10:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAianM View Post
Ok another question for you experts. Put the car up on a lift at the local tyre place to have a look under neath & found oil pi$$ing out of the rear diff so i need new gasket for it. On more inspection i noticed that there was a lot of play iin the drive shaft, front to back of car (rubbers rather worn) Should i be able to push the shaft up & down or should it be solid

First thing I'd do is check the U joint. Are you getting clunking and/or shuddering when you change gear, or amy kind of wobble/vibration from the drive shaft when moving?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2010, 11:21 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

The only time i get any noise, clunking is when i move the DCCD forward. It sounds like its coming from under the centre of the car. Thats why i thought of the prop having to much play in it.
Old 02 Feb 2010, 11:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAianM View Post
The only time i get any noise, clunking is when i move the DCCD forward. It sounds like its coming from under the centre of the car. Thats why i thought of the prop having to much play in it.
When you have the diff fully open how much clonk you get if turning a bend and then on-off the power say 2nd gear mine makes a clonk to but not very loud and their for about 2seconds, dont use the dccd on driving slow and turning hard as putting a lot of pressure on diffs as they be close to lock depending how far you dial up the dccd and you will get noise from it then and sounds horrible
Old 03 Feb 2010, 08:58 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

There is no noise what so ever on fully open it only bangs when going up to the first orange & above. My thinking is that ..as i put more power to the front it starts banging so surely the rear diff is ok & the front is the 1 with the problem
Old 03 Feb 2010, 10:06 AM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Can you be very specific about when the diff is clunking. Does it happen all the time when in the orange zone or only when turning, especially on hard lock? Does it do it more at low speed than high speed or both? DCCD is very clunky when you start moving towards full lock so it may be that you have no problem at all.
Old 03 Feb 2010, 10:32 AM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

It clunks at low speed or high & in a straight line. It jolts you forward in the seat really violently. Been in mates RA & its nothing like what his does
Old 03 Feb 2010, 11:16 AM   #23 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Get the oil changed for a suitable oil first and foremost. You may be lucky and it may just have crap oil in there or the wrong sort of oil. If that doesn't sort the issue then you may have a problem with the diff and, as Brett said, you'll need to get it checked out by someone that knows their way around the DCCD system.

Usually when there is a DCCD fault though, the diff will automatically default to fully open and not allow you to alter the settings. The indicator in the dash flashes too. That's why I'd suggest an oil change first, and as a matter of urgency.
Old 03 Feb 2010, 12:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Thanks Wayne Ive orderd some oil from the oilman & ive double checked that its the correct oil so will give it a change when it arrives.
Old 03 Feb 2010, 12:21 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

By the way i get no flashing lights or fault codes.
Old 03 Feb 2010, 06:49 PM   #26 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
Get the oil changed for a suitable oil first and foremost. You may be lucky and it may just have crap oil in there or the wrong sort of oil. If that doesn't sort the issue then you may have a problem with the diff and, as Brett said, you'll need to get it checked out by someone that knows their way around the DCCD system.

Usually when there is a DCCD fault though, the diff will automatically default to fully open and not allow you to alter the settings. The indicator in the dash flashes too. That's why I'd suggest an oil change first, and as a matter of urgency.
As Wayne said Ian and I wouldnt drive it till you get the proper oil in it might be doing more harm than good once the correct oil in then take it from their hope it cures it for ya
Old 03 Aug 2010, 07:08 PM   #27 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi lads , I have a 97 sti jap, i have a bad clunking rear diff , i have changed the oil in the gearbox and rear diff earlier this summer and still have clunking. Do i need to put in LSD additive? Its very bad when turning slow . Can anybody help me with this? or do i need a new diff?