Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

urgent help needed - buying 06-wrx - new scooby driver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Feb 2008, 10:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

urgent help needed - buying 06-wrx - new scooby driver

hi,
pleased to meet everyone,

i have seen a lovely 06 plate 2.5 wrx with only 9k on it, however im a little concerned as it has what is a ticking noise on the engine, rises with revs etc, remenisent to the ford tappet rattle.

i'm meant to be completing a deal tommorrow but is this a problem and should i wait for another?

thanks so much for the help, very much appreciated.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2008, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

can anyone suggest anything?

thanks
Old 17 Feb 2008, 09:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

The ticking noise may just be the injectors.
If a tapping noise then that would suggest the tappets are noisy

How loud are we talking, in yer face or if you listen closely ???

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 17 Feb 2008, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanks for the reply, no you can quite easily hear it, its consistent with revs and clicks a sound usually made when a car is running low on oil, although this is ok, i dont think this model has the chachteristic burbel as the old 2.0 does so this might show up the noise oppose to the burbel usually droning the tickin out?

sounds very like a tappety old ford!!!

thanks
Old 17 Feb 2008, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

so would either pose a problem? i was astonished anything could actually be wrong with the engine after onnly 8k and the car is well looked after,

my suzuki bandit sounded like this and it was due to the engine desgin the top of the cylinders get starved of oil, you can get round it by adding extra pipe wotk to flow oil into the top of the engine, however i dont want to be doing this on a new car im wanting to buy!!!

stay clear or just a common issue?

thanks again
Old 17 Feb 2008, 09:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Well the car will still have a years manufacturers warranty. are you buying from a Subaru Dealer ??

Old 17 Feb 2008, 03:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

hi its not, also i have been informed that it is also indeed an import!! from cyprus will this have an effect on the resale value? its apparentley full uk spec however.
its an 06 plate with 9k and its up for 13k

any help? is it worth it or not?
Old 17 Feb 2008, 03:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Chris you`ll actually find the burbles not that distinct on a classic with a std exhaust, mates got a 06sti, sounds virtually the same as mine with stainless /decat on it, its just theres very few classics left with the std factory fit exhaust so ppl presume they sound like that std, an ok to a very slight extent they do but its a really quiet burble you wouldnt necessarily pick up on being a scooby sound.

Tickings more than likely injectors as peter said if youre that worried about it find another in your area for sale an view so ya can compare the 2 you`d know for sure then (will be more noticeable with std exhaust/lack of proper scooby sound)
Old 17 Feb 2008, 03:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-wrx View Post
hi its not, also i have been informed that it is also indeed an import!! from cyprus will this have an effect on the resale value? its apparentley full uk spec however.
its an 06 plate with 9k and its up for 13k

any help? is it worth it or not?
May impact on resale and insurance mate-vague area for me though.
Old 17 Feb 2008, 03:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

yes thats what has put me off settling the deal today, i know the car is impecabble condition but when i come to sell people might turn there nose up at it....

also ive considered rx8's but i dont think you get enough performance for there mpg you get,
Old 17 Feb 2008, 04:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

I wouldnt buy a non uk supplied scooby(i know theyre all imported but ya know what i mean-specifically supplied to uk) unless it were the only way to get hold of a certain model personally-i went to motorpoint car supermarket yrs ago before i bought a brand new 106gti as they were a lot cheaper at the time and although uk spec of sorts they arent the same, there were variations in their so called uk spec imports, i wanted half leather interior and either they were old stock or different spec as the equivalent yr here had leather they didnt, few other subtle differences too- just put me off.

Last edited by uk dave; 17 Feb 2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 17 Feb 2008, 06:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

yeah, probs best to leave this one from the resale point of view.

cheers
Old 17 Feb 2008, 07:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Being an import it would have warranty problems as well..... Bit of a grey area..

My motto.... If in doubt leave it out...

There are plenty for sale mate, just keep looking.

As for an RX8, I was very disappointed when I took one for a test drive.
Seemed very unresponsive, no turbo kick, no nice engine note... do seem to rev forever though.
Cabin was nice and I do like those doors, only downside of those doors is you can shut the rear against the front causing damage. They have not thought of a way to prevent this from happening and having a 12 year old it would only be a matter of time.

Old 17 Feb 2008, 09:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i work in a peugeot dealership and as for imports-avoid like the plague....we hate seeing them come in --all paperwork from original dealer and from uk supplying dealer has to be present and correct-then theres the actual warranty--uk cars get three years and import only get two (was only one year upto a few years ago)
as stated before the spec is not the same although it is probably stated as it is the same-defo not. you will be loosing something and possibly gaining something stupid....
years ago i had a celica imported from japan-it was the mutts nuts at that time-extras over and above uk spec was air-con and sunroof, electric controlled bolster on drivers seat,electric folding mirrors,sports suspension at the press of a button,four wheel steering--thought this was super until things started to go wrong--could not get help anywhere-even the body panels were slightly different..insurance companies don't want them either-was getting quoted 700 more than a uk model

avoid imports if possible-sound good value-sound cheap--thats because there is hidden costs elsewhere---also if there is on original paperwork from importation-who can prove it is the age they say--hear roumers of a dealer locally who was importing cars and there was a discrepency over the ages of the cars...other dealers were selling same cars aged(for here say 2005) and when you checked the date on the seat belts they were dated 2004/5---other dealer were dated 2002/3..(seemed like the paperwork was being modified by a year or two).....no proof---may just have been here say--- but it's your money and you will be wanting as much back as you can when selling it-you won't get it back with an import.....
Old 19 Feb 2008, 12:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

If you havnt already bought id be very carful with anythin from Cyprus. They thrash tha nuts off the cars from the off. I drive mine relativly normally and they ask me why im not racin everyone!!! Plus they clock cars all the time here. Even the dealer offered to put new clocks on the car for when i go back.