Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Car Care - Make your car sparkle

Subaru Impreza Forum

before i start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Mar 2010, 07:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

before i start

budget a bit tight this month so i have to make do but heres what im going to do any advice

1 wash car with turtle wax nano tech
2 auto glym paint renovator using a deep sponge applicator with my grinder
3 nao tech wax with micro fibre pad and elboe grease
4 syto glym super resin polish wiht applicator and then buff with soft sponge buffer again ising the grinder
5 nano wax again this time by microfibe and buff(although might pick up some carnuba wax or mcguires)

so or
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2010, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: before i start

I always use warm water and Halfords own brand shampoo. works a treat lol
Old 08 Mar 2010, 09:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

is a grinder or proper body work buffer - a grinder runs far faster and could damage the paint. would advise only using it for the renovator. The paint is then ready for poishing by hand. I used meguiars deep crystal 3 stage. First step is renovator second is polish and third is carnuba wax. Got them on 3 for 2 in halfords so 24 of stuff was about 16. Great result!
Old 08 Mar 2010, 09:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

autoglym stuff in fairness is pretty good too. I wouldn't personally rate turtle wax but everyone has their own opinion!
Old 08 Mar 2010, 09:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

the nano tech stuff is 5h1t hot,try mixing with a drop of megs gold class,huge bubbleness,,also after rinsing,drizzle demon shine on it,towel dry and then go to town on the polish..
Old 08 Mar 2010, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

got the sponges from local motor factor and that what he uses on his cars and when he details others
my grinder isnt a very good one there much better specs checked with him and hes says its all good
Old 09 Mar 2010, 01:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Skip stage 3. No point waxing the car then the stage 4 polish will totally remove the wax.

(Assuming ive read your post correctly of course)
Old 09 Mar 2010, 01:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Skip stage 3. No point waxing the car then the stage 4 polish will totally remove the wax.

(Assuming ive read your post correctly of course)
Old 09 Mar 2010, 05:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-WRX-Import View Post
I always use warm water
warm water is always overlooked. worth the extra effort of carrying the bucket of water from the kitchen
Old 09 Mar 2010, 06:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

dont use the paint renovator bit harsh use meguiars ultimate compound
Old 09 Mar 2010, 09:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

well its done 4 hours

started off with a brown trouser moment the grinder and sponge took the shine right off allmost hitting the paint

lucky i pulled away damm motor factor guy but

anyway paint renovator and the shine came back at this point used the sponge but by hand worked in the renovator and all went well except when it was time to buff off in some places it just woundnt shift

so used a damp sponge and then buffed like mad and all came of thank f

next i washed the car again not liking the auto glym

then polish resin at this point the car looked well but my arm fell off and i had to head to the local a&e

half way there i turned back and added the wax mmmmmm nice this went on really well and the i shined her up my god i cound not believe it she looked amazing swirls gone etc so i done it again

one really good part was i had a deep scratch on the bumper used the sponge ang grinder on it and buffed it away with polish etc

think i will invest in a pro car buffer and some of uk dave suggestions staying away from autoglym but liked the turtle wax
the guy who owns the local garage stoped by and he was amazed wanted me to do his car but as i cant pull a door or myself off at the momoent i had to say no

we both however concluded that the abundance of stone chips and some under paint cracks on the bumpers the car would be better off with a respray in the future.

not surpising as the local council overhere never lay roads right they think by scattering loose stone on the roads after tar that the local will bed them in and that everybody thinks there the next colin macrae loking around mine isnt the worse or the best prob in the middle

the other suggestion was full decal kit cusco me thinks
Old 09 Mar 2010, 09:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

oh yeah used hot water
Old 14 Mar 2010, 11:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Polisher speed is important aswell as spraying a mist of water on the car so theres less chance of keeping too much heat in a concentrated area by you either hanging about with the polisher(keep it moving)or by having too coarse a polish at too high a speed better to put on steadily buff off faster.

For a coarse polish if the car were in average condition would have used an average density pad then as you go through sealant/wax use softer deeper pads but again its a balance between pad density/polisher speed/and how coarse the polish/compound is youre using as each has a bearing on the other.

Just boils down to Abrasion either by product/speed or pad density as all will create heat,However done right with a firmer pad will make light work of it,just about transmitting more pressure from less effort yourself if you like.

Push into a soft Pad you`ll push right through with little pressure(though youre less likely to damage youre paintwork)

Firmer pad would support you hence more pressures being transmitted to the car,with a sealant or wax its not really necessary as your applying a coating rather than cleaning rough paint up so a soft pad would do.

I`ll buy a polisher one of these days PMSL.

As is ive just bought 3 different density pads for use by hand and next weekend if the weathers ok got a right challenge-doin this below for a mate By hand i love trucks so its no bother though wish me luck-t-cut/polish/sealant/wax-mate aint long bought it as he`s setting up on his own,just done his wheels this weekend-if anyones interested will post a new thread for the laugh.i will be proper nackered though after this lol.

I know i must be mad.

Last edited by uk dave; 16 Mar 2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 12:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk dave View Post
if anyones interested will post a new thread for the laugh.i will be proper nackered though after this lol.

I know i must be mad.
Trucks Dave you mad should be an Interesting one the thread