Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Car Care - Make your car sparkle

Subaru Impreza Forum

Manufacturers best products(based on what ive tried and liked)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Dec 2008, 12:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Manufacturers best products(based on what ive tried and liked)

Blackfire Wet Diamond all finish paint protection Good sealant and were my favourite not so long back however found something equally as good for half the price now-has been good on darker colours though not great on red-currently got 1 coat on the runabout(silver) over chemical guys 5050 wax-when i wash it next im finishing the blackfire off so will post pics-you definately wouldnt be dissapointed with the glossy finish just the price is steep at 24.95

Chemical Guys wet mirror finish I use this before wax(occasionally) as to me its more of a glaze,strictly 1 coat tried 2 once but werent as good as just the one-isnt a product you`d need regularly but does what it says on the bottle and leaves a wet mirror finish.

Chemical Guys 5050 wax Best way to describe this is easier than collinite to apply though 2 coats needed for same depth though slightly glossier-only downside is ya tend to use alot so a tin dont last long(im not buying anymore based on this)

Chemical Guys Petes 53 wax Favourite chemical guys product that im pretty sure i`ll always buy-easy to use/dont use much so lasts a while/great finish though for best possible results 2 coats are needed.

Collinite 915 Great wax on pretty much every colour car one coat will be enough to give a great shine so excellent value,if you do decide to go over with a 2nd coat leave 24hrs as this is very tempremental-generally i apply to one panel then buff off as it dries fairly quick.

Four star ultimate paint protection You wont beat this for price/shine love this stufff-really is an amazing sealant for about 11.95

Meguiars

Lol im sure im not going to be that popular here but the reality is i hate most meguiars products.

So being realistic for me meguiars sponge applicators are a must-i use them with all my sealants/waxes,another product is shampoo plus(bought in US gallon sized Can(about 4ltrs)-14.95)in my eyes is possibly the best car shampoo.

Should give their quick clay a mention as its pretty cool to be fair, though in all fairness only ever used this and sonus`s clay-and aint like i use regularly- once or twice a yr at the most.

Suppose the deep crystal 3 stage stuffs not too bad but not a fan of the rest based on not being warm car/direct sunlight friendly(as not everybodys like me most ppl do their cars when its sunny an warm)Tends to leave a hazy finish beneath the surface.

Poorboys Professional polish Great product coarse enough to remove light marks/swirls leaves deep finish and possible to go straight to wax from this as leaves a grippy as opposed to slick finish-either way wouldnt use as single product-needs a sealant/wax over it.(will always buy this though generally i only use after claying to perfect the finish)

Poorboys EX sealant Great product and again an old favourite just let down by being dusty when buffing off-does leave a great finish however and ive used on red hot cars before without problem(finish is close to my favourite sealant-Four star)Let down by being about the same price.

Mothers reflections car wax/top coat(seperate bottles) Another couple of good products-Very easy to use and gave one of the best finishes ive had from a liquid wax, top coat stuff really sealed in the shine-downside 26-ish for the pair of bottles.

Mothers california gold Pure carnauba wax Great value great shine but lacked depth if im honest-still got some left-had it ages.

Mothers california gold carnauba cleaner wax Good single stage product cleans and leaves a good shine-cheapest single use product ive ever tried (thats any good)8.99

Einszett waxpolish soft Brilliant value 14.95 (for a 1000ml tin)Will last ya ages easy to use very good shine average depth.

Einszett metallic polishwax Favourite single stage product for finish-not that great value as a small tin but cleans well and leaves a good deep reflective shine 9.99 (use microfibre applicator for best results)

P21s now R222 Cleanser and concours carnauba wax (seperate products) Although not great lasting wax so easy to use and great all round finish-nothing bad to say about it,the cleanser is the best cleanser ive ever used when i tried it waay bk could almost have left the car at that after-most cleansers seem based on it-blackfire gloss enhancers very close.
I dont use cleansers now as a rule though.

Pinnacle souveran and XMT180 wax (Seperate products)

I couldnt really get on with souveran though is really a flagship wax just didnt make a massive difference on my colour car-Couple of mates however with black and red cars love it-gotta admit tried it on the micra and worked well-long lasting too.

Xmt180`s sorta pinnacles p21s concours carnauba wax equivalent-great shine but dont last long.Gave better finish on mine than the souveran however at half the price.

Pinnacle XMT carnauba finishing glaze Really like this and dont use it enough-think ive only used it twice on the scooby, rest of the times have been on my mates cars(and there aint much left)works really well on dark coloured cars and especially before Chemical guys Petes 53 wax.

sonus sfx 1/2/3 polishes To get the best out of these really you`d need a polisher however great results can be had by hand starting at SFX1 fairly coarse though not a compound down to 3 which is a really fine finishing polish-worth it but obviously time consuming.

Sonus Green Clay Great product as its a fine clay,ya can get various grades of clay from some that`l remove overspray(quite agressive) through to more average stuff like meguiars quick clay and onto sonus green.

I now use sonus green on mine, its more for when ya cars already in pretty good condition an ya dont want to lose the majority of wax etc(hence shine) by it being stripped by the clay yet still removing imperfections in your paint-just a more gentle clay on your paintwork.

Autoglym Aqua-dry synthetic chamois Possibly the greatest leather you can buy-alot of ppl prefer drying towels its just a preference thing-These last ages trust me - used to be a guy who had the area franchise and had a shop 5mins away from me-Myself and lee with the RS turbo went an bought some stuff before he packed up-at the time we thought well we may aswell buy a couple of new leathers as ours are about nackered 2yrs on still using the same leather new one hasnt been touched and same with lee-really soak water up very well-seem a bit average when new but get better with age trust me. Had my existing one about 4 an a half yr,just keep em damp an clean an ya cant go wrong.

Valetpro high gloss tyre dressing Link ValetPro Valeting Suppliers - High Gloss Tyre Dressing Bought this about 18mths ago and still got half of it left-up to you how ya use it i just pour some out in an old jar or tin then using a cheap clean paintbrush brush it on-could put in a pump/trigger sprayer but ya waste half of it in the atmosphere then.
This is ok to brush on even if ya tyres arent perfectly clean-just brush well on the dirty bits(not sayin if you`ve been in a field it`d work so dont take to extremes it aint some new phenomenon) just if ya cars fairly clean but ya cant be bothered to wash tyres but want to smarten em up works fine-will look as if the dirt will stay as will foam slightly as its brushed however will dry dark.

I dont dry mine of after just leave em though up to the individual-smells lovely aswell as its vanilla scented.Will last beyond the next time ya cars washed but bear in mind tyres will be greasy when washed if it aint dried off after applying the previous time-probably do my tyres once a month.(depends on your mileage as mine dont do loads)

Will add to this as i remember stuff.

Last edited by uk dave; 30 Dec 2008 at 11:08 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2008, 01:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Manufacturers best products(based on what ive tried and liked)

Bloody hell Dave.

Great read mate. Shame I can't get any of the products (yet).

Look forward to any additions.
Old 30 Dec 2008, 12:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Ya great detail their Dave sumed up a lot of products their
Old 30 Dec 2008, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Wow! Thanks for the list of products.

Old 30 Dec 2008, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Lol theres various posts on each scattered about car care just thought i`d put a short(ish)description beside each in one place.

Couple of me mates have used other products i havent various dodo juice stuff/jetseal 109/clearkote vanilla moose amongst others-havent been impressed by these or others yet,ppl rave about jetseal but finish wise to me looked no better than poorboys EX.

Fairly happy with the few products i stick to if im honest.
Old 08 Jan 2009, 03:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Great lecture and lesson Dave!!! Thank you
I need some more advices
Can you recomend me some cleaner/detailer for the interior trimmings and the dashboard?
So far I have used megs, but I noted that the dashboard on the side of the side airbags is getting faded, so I dont trust megs anymore.
Also a good shampoo that does not strip away wax. Again I was using megs next but I am not satisfied.
Also, what product you recomend for the cleaning of the alloy wheels?
Cheers
Max
Old 08 Jan 2009, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Meguiars shampoo plus takes some beating as a car shampoo and its immediately noticeable that its softened the water when you put your hand in the bucket-really is gentle on your paintwork-not sure if thats the megs youve been using they do various but this is hard to beat.

Can get from various places Meguiar's D111 Shampoo Plus - Buy online from i4detailing.co.uk

Interior i just use Auto Glym Vinyl & Rubber Care 500ml 4WheelPlay Car Accessories, Autoglym Car Care, Polish, Car Wax, Car Tools and Accessories

Dont pay that for it though theres a shop a few mile away i can get it for about 3.50 from.

I dont like my dash shiny so use that, if you do maybe try something else-i just like the clean natural look i just rub it in with a microfibre cloth then go over after with a clean cloth to buff the shine up slightly.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 10:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

hi dave
fab details on the products, but what are the stages? i mean what do u do in what order? (wash wax poilish sealent?)

thanks