Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Car Care - Make your car sparkle

Subaru Impreza Forum

cars faded :(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jun 2012, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

cars faded :(

whats the best product to use to bring it back to its glory the sun has faded the colour while it has been sat?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2012, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Re: cars faded :(

Depends on the colour!
Old 10 Jun 2012, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

it mostly happens on red colour

you can use some good polishes but they wont do any thing as soon as you wash it it will fad again best thing to do is get some g3 and buff the car with a polisher and then use polish.

if its to bad use some 2000 paper to rub the paint very fine so it dosnt go through the paint work and then puff it with g3 cutting compound and then wash it and then use some good resin polish.

if you need to practice this on a used panel do that first so you no how much paint you rubing down you only rub it till the paint goes dull then use g3 then was it and polish it and it wont go back to dull again. hope this helps.

FROM WORKS THE REAL DEAL.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanks for that its yellow
Old 11 Jun 2012, 04:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

get yourself over to detailing world, they will give you some proper advice and maybe find a local member that can give you a few pointers or a hand.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Young Scooby

If you want a quick fix then clay the car to get all the dirt out of the paint, then SRP it and seal it with a good wax.

If you was local I would suggest a good detailer for you who would bring it up great, check his work out on YouTube: Reflect and Protect.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 06:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

as CCS has suggested,G3 compound for starters,paint detox,followed by a restorer/renovator,polish,wax and seal......result
Old 12 Jun 2012, 08:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

how much is a Machine gonna cost the guy and then the pads and G3 on top?
yet a simple Auto finesse triple applied by hand will do the job and cost about £20 inc a few pads etc,as its a AIO he wont need anything on top.

also you asking a total newbie to attack a car with soft paint, just seems a little overkill and dangerous for a simple question asked by the OP,
as I mentioned, detailing world is a better place for the question Ash asked.

allan at R & P is a nice guy too Claire
Old 13 Jun 2012, 02:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

You can put as much makeup as you want it wonít last a few cold washes.

The sun's heat absorbed and retained by your vehicle's metal and fades the clear coat. And previous bodywork may also cause staining or sinking in the paint work. All so cheap polishes like colour magic can sink in to the clear coat and the sun light heat will burn the colouring which was in the paint work and cause white patches in the clear coat.

Clear coat or 2 pack paint will all so fade with detergents like fairy liquid which is common used the bucket in car washes rather than shampoo and too much cold jet wash and bad weather will do the same rather than the sun heat in uk unless youíre living in Arizona.

The point am trying to make is that the problem is in the clear coat lacquer or 2pack paint and unless cutting compound is used which cuts a bit of the surface of the clear coat of paint you wonít bring the paint work back to life.
Silicone polishes which are temporary measure fade unless you use them every 2 to 3 months depending on how often you wash your car.

It doesnít matter how high the quality of the wax is itís only to protect good paint work nothing else. It wonít solve your problem for good. And i would love to be corrected on this.

I have used different cutting compounds nothing works like Farecler g3 yellow bottle you can get the liquid type for around a under £10 from any paint shop use it with your hand do one panel and then polish that and another panel with it which hasnít got g3 see which on fades first.

If you was near Birmingham i would take the car in my body shop £80 full car cut and polish and it doesnít matter how bad it is as long as thereís no cracks in the paint work and when you walk in at the end of the day if it doesnít look like itís just been fully painted full refund on the spot.

Try your local body shop if it doesnít need rubbing down it will be cheaper around £50 but i would give it a go with your hand first see the natural results and then pick up a cheap polisher from ebay if it gets too much.

This is what it looks like ebay item 330563592230

Last edited by ccsworks; 13 Jun 2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 12:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Cheers people, ccs I am not too far from Birmingham I am going to a show soon and wouldn't mind standing out how long would it take you to do? Much appreciated

Last edited by Woody09; 17 Jun 2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 01:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

depending on how bad it you can get it back before the end of the day if you drop it in the morning.

send me a message a few days before as am all ways busy in the workshops and will book it in. even if your rushing back and your in Birmingham at least pop in and let me have a look at it and then at least you know where you stand and you can book it in your convenient time.