Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Users Photo Gallery

Subaru Impreza Forum

MY00 Turbo 2000 Restoration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jun 2019, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

MY00 Turbo 2000 Restoration

This is still in progress, it would have been completed last week but due to dodgy workmanship under the previous ownership its going to take another week. When I had the arches replaced the welder told me that the inner arches had been sprayed with some kind of foam which was about an inch thick and it wasn't even protecting the metal. I supplied him with 2 pairs of rear arches and he had to use both as the metal was crumbling. The reason why I supplied 2 pairs is 1 pair did not look like it was going to line up with the bumper. So to make it easier and quicker for the welder he could just cut them up and weld them together to make a perfect fit.

This is what is was like when I bought it.

It didn't take long for the rear arches to end up like this. The other side was worse I had to replace the lip with fibreglass to get to pass the MOT. Look carefully at the rear arch and the rear bumper as this is the original arch and it doesn't meet up with the bumper. Later photos shows the same issue with the new arches which is being filled in before the respray.

These are the new arches with etch primer as I was using 2 body shops, 1 for welding the other for respray.

These are the photos the body shop that is doing the respray sent me as I asked him to respray rear end front bumper and bonnet scoop and outer sills as someone painted the sills black and it was flacking off.
What he said was the sills are solid and will still pass the MOT but he cant paint where the rust is unless he was to cut the sills off and replace it which would cost too much there for he is going to treat the sills. Also he mentioned he found the front bumper beam/bar covered in foam.
All this rust is caused by water build up on the body kit. Im now thinking of leaving the body kit off.