Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

PETROL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2005, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to warrenjenkins Send a message via Yahoo to warrenjenkins
PETROL

wheres the best place to get super im not worried about price
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2005, 11:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Well there are loads of threads and opinions about fuel mate I personally stick Optimax inthe Evo and did the same with the Scoob. For some reason my previous scoob didn't seem to like BP too much - it has expensive taste

Some swear by Sainsburys supermarket fuel - if I were you fill up with a couple tanks of optimax and see how you get on. Shells website has e map where you can see all the service stations that sell Optimax
Old 03 Jun 2005, 11:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to warrenjenkins Send a message via Yahoo to warrenjenkins
shell aint in the area m8 im up shite creek there lol
Old 04 Jun 2005, 08:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Well if you don't want to use supermarket fuel then there is always Esso and BP that sell their own brands of SUL.

There are loads of threads on the net about different fuels and to honest I am not totally sure whether a lot of it is urban myths so to speak. As I say I use Optimax purely as the car feels best when on this stuff. However I put about a tenners worth of Sainsburys in last week and I can't remember the car feeling a huge amount different

Just buy SUL from wherever is local to you. You are running a UK spec Impreza so the Jap import fuelling issues are of no consequence to you 8) Just try and use SUL rather than NUL
Old 04 Jun 2005, 08:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

we got 4 texaco garages
we got 3 tescos
and 2 esso
and morrisons
and waitrose

i started to use morrions load of cr@p pinking like fek
now ive switched to esso but ive got a 10mile drive also what about this millers stuff must you put 1 in at every tank full ?and does it really boost it by 2 octane?
Old 04 Jun 2005, 08:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

I assume the Morrissons is NUL ?? and are you running the PPP ECU in your car mate ??

If so then it is recommended that you use SUL. You can use NUL for a while and the ECU restricts performance accordingly. Octane Boosters are fine but to be fair the PPP ECU will onl be wanting 97/98 RON fuel so there really isn't much need for octane boosters in non JDM Cars.

They do boost the Octane rating but be careful as the RON Values are caluclated a bit differently than most people think :roll:
Old 04 Jun 2005, 08:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

thought as much supermarket fuel is cr@p with my scooby i'll keep to esso its good on that m8
Old 04 Jun 2005, 09:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenjenkins
thought as much supermarket fuel is cr@p with my scooby i'll keep to esso its good on that m8
have also heard that supermarkets dont always provide even 95 ron :shock:
Old 04 Jun 2005, 10:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Optimax 98 ron or BP ultimate 97 ron is all I use - runs better on Optimax - but give it a few tankfulls then it seems to run smoother I assume the ECU picks it up?? - never use Supermarket gas its cr*p - athough I have heard Tesco's will be offering Super Unleaded at some point but we don't have it a my local Tesco's in Osterley Middx yet. EVO magazine did a test on various petrols some time ago and Optimax was no. 1 for performance cars.

I think I would prefer to stick to Optimax
:1:
Old 04 Jun 2005, 10:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

wheres the nearest shell garage to cardiff ?
Old 04 Jun 2005, 10:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

No worries follow http://www.shell.com/home/uk-en/html...on_finder.html and put in Cardiff and Optimax and it should give you all the garages in your area.

Good luck - i've used it in many cars and it always gives max BHP and we can NEVER have enough of that can we!!!!! :1:
Old 04 Jun 2005, 11:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

thanks mate 20 miles there and 20 miles back mmmmmmmmmm is it worth just wasting a gallon mmmmmmmmm
Old 04 Jun 2005, 11:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

in newport its 94.9p per litre optimax fekin hell im payiny 91.9 for esso supreme best go and gets some well worth the 40 mile trip
Old 04 Jun 2005, 12:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Sorry don't know Cardiff area too well but as you said the Esso equivalent sounds okay and a bit cheaper - Shell garage is only a mile away from my home - but I do big motorway milage and can usually only find BP Ultimate but I am sure the car runs beter on Optimax - not by much but certianly smoother.
Old 04 Jun 2005, 01:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Used to use Optimax only until my local Tesco's started selling 99 octane super unleaded,

Read the post from Scvoobynet below:

This is NOT bull**t. This email came from someone in the team responsible for buying petrol at Tesco HQ. You can tell by the marketing speak!

" Yes its true, another Tesco first, we are trialling a 99 octane super
unleaded petrol grade in 12 sites around the South East of England.

This will be competitvely priced compared to our Oil Company competitors and will be subject to our usual price check so as to ensure we match the lowest price locally for this grade.

It will be labelled as 99 octane and we will therefore always ensure it meets this octane level as a minimum.

So those lucky enough to have scoobies and the like should feel a
benefit in performance without it hitting their pockets too hard.

Roll out to further stores ( in the S.E. area only) depends are how customers respond - so come on down.

We are also selling "standard" super unleaded - 97 octane, in 12 stores based around the Midlands and South Wales, again a trial to gauge customer reaction.

99 OCTANE STORES:
Beford 1
Cheshunt Extra
Crawley Hazelwick
Gallions Reach Extra
Gillingham Kent
Lakeside Extra
Ramsgate Manston
Salisbury 2
Sandhurst Extra
Sevenoaks Riverhead
Stevenage Extra
Winchester

97 OCTANE STORES
Banbury
Bicester 2
Cardiff Extra
Culverhouse Cross
Neath Abbey
Penarth
rdditich Extra
Stratford Upon Avon
Warwick
Worcester 1 "

Been using it for a few weeks now and appears to be ok, cheap as well, at the moment its only 87.9p per litre!!

Lets hope the trial works out and others follow!!!

Cheers,

Mickey.