Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

next mod exhaust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 May 2005, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to warrenjenkins Send a message via Yahoo to warrenjenkins
next mod exhaust

i know its down to sound taste price etc etc just would like some feedback this is my proposal:::::::::::
1.keep existing prodrive back back have it decat
2. 4" system all the way through
3. your ideas

would i also have to have my ecu remapped? ive already got the ppp fitted what do you guys think (espically NELSON )
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2005, 07:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

1.keep existing prodrive back back have it decat
2. 4" system all the way through
3. your ideas

replies

1) You already have a centre decat with the PPP so you just have the downpipe cat to remove. As I mentioned previously this CAN cause problems not always but it it would seem about 50% of PPP owners have probs and 50% don't.....luck of the draw I'm afraid. You do need to watch out for boost spikes but this can be cured by drilling out the brass boost restrictor....if you go down this route then I can help you out with this.

2) 4" a definate no no. You would lose a lot of torque and to be fair the Huge BHP beasts generally only run 3 inch or 3.5 inch. No point therefore in going to this size. however a 3 inch system would be ok and the Blitz NurSpec R is indeed 3 inch bore. Basically it replaces the centre pipe and back box but it is loud. You do get a bung with it but expect to be heard

3) OK as it stands the PPP ECU cannot be remapped. So if you are wanting to go the Full Decat route then I would personally suggest selling the PPP ECU (you'll get good money for this). Fit a full decat system - down pipe, centre and back box - grab yourself a standard MY99/00 ECU and then get the car remapped with a EcuTek remap. Now the Tek remap is basically a remap of the existing ECU. It allows for far greater scope when running with your Mods and a good Mapper can get a lot more power and driveability out of a car with this. I would suggest a Tek3 remap which if done with a good flowing exhaust and panel filter could see you pushing out about 270ish bhp and similar torque The TD04 Turbo you have on your scoob is really only good for about 280BHP maximum so this will limit you. However with these mods on board you will have a very quick Scoob.

One the exhaust front I would personally go Scoobysport (open neck) decat down pipe - Scoobyworld Ninja Centre and Back Box. Nice sound but not too loud. If you can get yourself along to a Scoob meet and listen to different exhausts cos they can all sound very different

HTH
Old 28 May 2005, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to warrenjenkins Send a message via Yahoo to warrenjenkins
thanks for the info m8 a lot to take in at the moment :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 28 May 2005, 07:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

if i wanted to keep the prodrive ecu what could i add????????????????
Old 28 May 2005, 08:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

nelson just read about having the prodrive chip removed from ecu and something else??????? and having a tek3 remap have you heard of this before also the exhaust as well
Old 28 May 2005, 10:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Well if you wanted to keep the Prodrive ECU then I would suggest a New centre section and back box. The Prodrive back box is supposed to be a bit restrictive at higher rpm so if you were to change these pipes then it'd certainly help. An uprated Panel filter is also another good option - I personally fitted the Green (as it was the best one for performance) but the STI and JR, K&N are all good filters too. This will give a slightly more responsive throttle etc.

As for removing the ECU - I personally wouldn't. The PPP Ecu is infact an STI V5/6 ECU remapped for UK fuelling hence the lower power. However the Prodrive Chip is in fact soldered to the board so I personally would leave well alone. YOu can expect to get about 350 for the PPP ECU and a Standard MY99/00 UK Turbo ECU will set you back about 100. This will then need to be remapped which will cost you anything from 500-700. The Prodrive 'Map' is well known to be a very good performance 'safe' map and is equivalent to a Tek2 remap (with the down pipe cat still in place). As I said before you might get away with decatting the downpipe on the car with the PPP in place and you will get more power etc. Horses for Courses I'm afraid :roll:
Old 28 May 2005, 10:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

replaced filter with panel (green cotton) what a big difference,however went for a drive tonight noticed like a restriction at about 3-4k revs ??????????? why?????????????

so let me get this keep existing ppp ecu and just replace the exhaust from what sections with scooby sport?

thanks nelson for all your tech knowledge very much appreciated
Old 28 May 2005, 11:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Hmmmm - restriction ?? do you mean hesitation ? Was the car doing this before you fitted the Green filter ? I would suggest an ECU reset just in case the Panel filter is allowing the car to breath a bit better.

I can't imagine a green panel would make that much of a difference - I assume you cut off the rubber 'stops' on the bottom of the panel filter ?

If you are wanting to keep the PPP ECU then you can replace either the centre section and or the back box. The Classic exhaust is in 3 sections. Downpipe which has a large cat in place - the centre section (which on a standard scoob would have the cat in place) but on a PPP car this cat is removed and the back box. To not risk any problems then I would suggest replacing the centre section and rear box and leave the down pipe in place. A new exhaust may in itself be better flowing and obviously better sounding so you could expect a peformance gain. However your choice of exhaust pipework will all come down to how loud you want the exhaust to be ?
Old 28 May 2005, 11:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

1. yes i meant hesitation,its only done it since a ecu reset?y
2. i did cut off about 8 of those nodules??
3.exhaust yes i want a replacement but i dont want it loud im not after noise what do u think of what type
Old 28 May 2005, 11:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

OK and ECU reset can lead to a car not feeling quite right for about 50-100 miles> Basically all the parameters of the ECU are reset and have to relearn. Generally mixed driving helps to allow the ECU to learn but you should find things improve the more miles you cover If they don't then I suggest checking the ECU for fault codes as something may be amiss but I doubt it.

Sounds like you did the job on the Green panel

and Exhaust - well the world is literally your oyster. Having heard a few exhausts I would have to say that the HKS HiperSilent is the one that I reckon you'd benefit from. Its certainly not LOUD but it gives off the right sound and with a 4.5 inch tail pipe certainly looks the business. The HKS is regarded as one of the better perforiming exhausts and could be just what you are looking for. The HKS parts can be a tad pricey though - dunno what sort of budget you had in mind ? Otherwise the original Hayward & Scott Scoobysport (in my opinion) sounds sublime Its only has a 3.5 inch rolled tip on the back box and is certainly not too loud at all when coupled with a resonated centre section. The Ninja resonated centre pipe from www.scoobyworld.co.uk is a good choice.
Old 28 May 2005, 11:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

thanks for that think i'll just change the centre and rear box and do my gauges then ive finished ohhhhhh and refurbing my prodrive alloys by the way any ideas where i can get 4 prodrive stickers for the alloys (the proper ones) i think you may know that one as well thankd m8 your brilliant
Old 29 May 2005, 12:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

No probs - its nice to be able to help

as for Prodrive decals - can I suggest private messaging 'signcreate' on here - address the 'pm' to Lawrence and tell him I recommended him to you. I'm sure he can do you a set m8
Old 29 May 2005, 12:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

tried that pm thingy dont think it worked i also done a search and it said no matches found i guess hes got to be on line for it to work?? you havent got his email addy have you or you couldnt ask him to drop me an email the next time you speak to him
Old 29 May 2005, 06:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

What sizes do you want and what colour m8 ?

I'll contact Lawrence and see if I can put him in touch with you
Old 29 May 2005, 11:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

black emblems approx size 3.5" in length X4 would be very grateful