Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

EJ20 valves

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 May 2005, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

EJ20 valves

I have a problem, a guy ran a light and clipped the front of the Sti :evil: .....well need less to say I'm furious....he destroyed the entire nose and now the repair shop says the valve lifters may be damaged since the timing gear shattered on impact and the timing belt got shredded.....my question is how do you actually test to see if in fact the valve lifters are damaged......what the guy is saying is that when you spin the cam gear, it spins freely then locks.....now he is saying that it is supposed to lock as soon as as you spin the gear is that true ? or is it supposed to spin freely a bit then lock? I'm totally lost because there are NO Sti mechanics in Trinidad.....and the local dealer said they do not honour the warranty..and their mechanics cannot handle the problem :cry: ...so I'm in a big jam....any advice would be greatly appreciated.....

p.s. Does anyone have access to the manual for the six foward Sti gearbox?.....if so can I please get me a copy since whilst the car is down I was ignoring the 5th. gear grating when changing gears......but now is a good time to address this issue.....I read in forums that it's caused by the syncro and can be changed.....what advice can you lend me on this ?....

Finally if it is that I'm in need of any parts for the engine and gearbox.....can anyone source them and I purchase from anyone?.......I'm in Trinidad so we'll have to arrange something, remember it's a Japenese spec Sti so I do not know if the parts are the same or different from the UK model...it's the EJ20 engine mated with the six foward gearbox.

Thanking you in advance
Polydor.
Offline   Reply With Quote