Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

HESITATION

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2005, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

HESITATION

HI EVERYONE!

thishas already been covered by someone,
looks like they replaced the maf.

being a newbie, whats a maf? where is it? are they expensive? ar they easy to fit?

ive cleaned my boost solenoid and the waste gate seems fine.

Thanks

Paul.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2005, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

MAF = Mass Air Flow meter next to the AIR BOX

Depending on model cost between 70 and 150. They are a plug and play item easy to get at and easy to replace.... BUT are FRAGILE

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 17 May 2005, 08:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

thanks for that.

i triedthe ecu reset just incase.
i think i have done it right,

i plugged balck cables together, then ecu light flashes once every second (meaning no fault)
plugged green cables together, swithched igntion on then pressed accel down for 3 secs.
then started engine with cables plugged in still, drove for 5 mins at 10mph. but the ecu light kept flahingas per normal from ther second i pulled off in the car.is this correct???
i read that the ecu light should start flashin after a while, then at that point you should unplug the cables.

car stills hesitates after 20 miles but to my understanding, this is normal unitl 100 miles???

is there a sure way to find out if i have actually managed to reset my ecu?

:cry:
Old 17 May 2005, 08:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Mr_Wid
Had exactly the same problem on mine and replaced the maf. Dead easy to do but you'll need a security torx 20 socket/bit to get the screws out. Mine ran like crap for a while after the ecu reset but then after a long run on the motorway it seemed to settle and now is running fine.

My ecu light also flashed after reset before i'd even got of my driveway so thats perfectly normal!
Old 17 May 2005, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

MR WID when u said your car ran like crap how do u mean mate i"m only asking because i"ve just replaced my maf and on idle it is"nt ticking over very smoothly it seems to get lumpy and the revs drop ever so slightly i just wundered if yours woz the same the revs are"nt fluctuateing like they did before the new maf i woz just hopeing the maf needed to settle down abit
Old 17 May 2005, 10:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

After an ECU reset the car will feel a bit off colour so to speak - a tad down on power and sometimes the idle etc will be a little unsettled. After 50-100 miles all the parameters within the ECU and you should feel things improve ?
Old 17 May 2005, 10:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

to test the maf, i disconnected it on idle, it didnt seem to make much difference (just as though i hadnt disconnected it) but the car stalled after aout 20-30 secs, i was expecting the engine to sound rough when disconnecting it?

ive also noticed my car having good and bad days when ticking over, some days it seems nice and smooth on tick over, but other days it seems to be shaking "feeling rough" (if you know what i mean).
Old 18 May 2005, 08:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

YHPM mate

I would say to get the MAF replaced - they are the weak point on the MY99/00's I'm afraid Better to be safe than sorry
Old 18 May 2005, 03:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i replaced my maf on monday and as i"ve already said it"s abit lumpy on idle i"ve also disconnected the maf while running and it stalled straight away so i hope your right nelson and it"ll settle down after a few miles as i do"nt think theres anything wrong with my new maf cheers
Old 18 May 2005, 04:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Mine ran fine at idle before and after the maf was replaced, i originally replaced it because my turbo kept going into safe mode; not boosting above .5bar.

When i say ran like crap i mean it occasionaly still went into safe mode so was a tad slow at times, and also it hesitated on full boost occasionally, even giving out some nice pops from the exhaust. But after a new maff, eu reset and long run all was sorted
Old 19 May 2005, 07:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

thanks for that mate, would i just need the sensor, or the maf as well?
i get no error codes on test.
the car hesitates more when i put my foot to the floor at about 70mph plus, really bad.

on tick over, i can unplug the maf sensor, and the engine seems to tick over fine still, the revs go up and down a tiny little bit, when i plug the sensor back in, it stalls at this stage.

with unpluggin the sensor i would expect that the engine would not like it at all and cough and splutter, am i correct?
Old 20 May 2005, 11:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Yeah i'd say you definately need a new maf sensor, think they're about 70 from subaru for your m/y car! Take it easy on your car until you get one fitted as mine had a new engine fitted under warranty a year ago after it went bang, all because of a dodgy maf sensor!