Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Understanding different gear boxes...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 May 2005, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
Understanding different gear boxes...

Hi all,

What other types do they do for the Subaru's? I believe mine is a close ratio and low geared (ish) 5 speed..

Do they do 6 speed models that have 5 close gears and then a 'longer legged' 6th? I was just wondering about something like this as it would be a good fuel saver going up the motorway! Is something like this possible?

Cheers!

Oh one over very quick question.. At the rear of the car I hear what I think its to be a 'scratching' sound? I think it might be something to do with the rear brake pads/discs? Anyone got any ideas? Not a bad thing is it?.... :? :shock:

Thanks again for the help
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2005, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
hi phil, the STi has a 6 sped box, but i think the 6th would be close to yours, at 80 it shows a tad over 3k.

have you checked the pads ? could be low!

Buzz
Old 04 May 2005, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
That sounds a little better for the gearing to me.. My rover 220 Coupe Turbo managed 100mph at 4k rpm.. 80mph was just a touch over the 3k mark, sounds just like the STI's.. Are they expensive? Sorry dumb ass question!! ops: 80mph for me Buzz is over 4k rpm's! Every 20mph faster, it goes up a full 1k rpm's...

Pads and discs where changed last year all way around... Will take another look and be sure... Anything else it could perhaps be Buzz?

Thanks!
Old 04 May 2005, 09:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
No idea on the price of a box :roll:

Is the noise there all the time?

Buzz
Old 04 May 2005, 10:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Sponsor
Paid & Proud

it is possible to put a UK 5th into your box to help it cruise better, however because you will have 4.44 final drive its always going to be a bit manic..............

alyn
Old 05 May 2005, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

No Buzz the noise isnt there all the time. Comes and goes (round corners mostly I think..) brakes seem fine otherwise, so Im really not so worried like that. Just hoping its nothing serious...

Well to be honest with you all, Im looking to swap out the Jap box and put in a 6 gear monster..
Theres plently of power in that car, Im not going to miss a little get up and go on a motorway.. If I need that, I'll just change down and floor it!
Old 05 May 2005, 08:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I would be a little wary of doing that. If you're after longer ratios you could put a set of 3.9 diffs on your car, using a new age R180 plated rear diff (complete) and a normal 3.9 CWP set for the front. This is likely to cost you £1000 but you could get some money for the old rear diff and you will maintain your current ratios.

The 6 speed is a mixed bag. If you got one with DCCD (very prefferable) then you'll probably be looking at Jap ratios, which are close and quite short, making for a manic drive in a car with any significant power.

Your current box would probably be worth quite a lot if you sold it wih Rear diff too, as if offers (possily) uprated front diff, the DCCD centre, uprated (over UK) gear strength and the plated rear diff. SO that would go some way to fund the 6 speed swap, for which you will also need a matching rear diff.

Paul
Old 05 May 2005, 08:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Im looking into it mainly for the long jorneys up the motorway, things like Max Power and meeties with the guys and gals on here.

I dont like the idea of the engine at 4k rpms+ when I just want to cruise up the motorway.. Although the power and pickup is out of this world, Im willing to have some of that instant get up and go taken and some nice and gently..

I would be selling, the uprated front and rear diffs, and whatever else I may have to sell to get a complete replacement in there. Money isnt so import to me as long as it works, works well and saves a little bit of fuel on those long trips So far, Im not sure when is best to actually use that DCCD or really what it does apart from transfer the power to the front or rear of the car. I dont push it that hard so I guess I wont really be needing it.. will I?

If I knew what I had to replace, the costs and labour for fitting it etc, I might say, no or yes, but I would have more of a 'answer' to doing it or not. Can anyone offer that advise?
Old 06 May 2005, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

The DCCD is one of the best things about your car. Getting rid of it will not be good for your car, it's resale value or it's saleability.

A 3.9 diff and CWP swap is going to be cheaper than a DCCD 6 speed and new rear diff. The final drive ratio will be around the same in top gear (if it's a JDM 6 speed) and you won't be adding around 30kg to the car. Plus easier to source the bits. Budget £500 for the rear 3.9 diff, £150 for the 3.9 CWP and maybe £250 to rebuild the box with the new ratio (once it's out of the car).

Paul
Old 06 May 2005, 01:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Now that would interest me, DCCD with UK gearing for about £1000. Love the gearing on the Type R when on track but it is a pain when normal road driving. Can you recommend someone for this :?:
Old 06 May 2005, 07:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Im really not that sure I want the DCCD in the car at all! I never use it!

Either way, I'd like a 6 speed box, regards of cost (to be honest) I really do agree with bob, the gearing is perfect for track day use and for road use it can be a bit of a handfull because its always wanting to go faster.

When I cruise on the motorway, I just want to cruise, I dont want to feel like I'm a bat out of hell everytime I want a quiet jorney up the motorway!

The gearing is so good for the acceleration of the car, I dont deny it, but for when I like to go gentally, I cant do it and thats what I miss.

The Rover was great because it had such long legged gearing. I mean, I could do 105mph in 3rd gear! And this Subaru is so much better than the Rover. The car has so much more power, traction and everything else is perfect in my eyes (apart from that darn scoop!) and I want to make it even better with a 6 speed box. I believe it will be better again with that inside of it.

I know this might set a lot of opinions off, but seriously, what else can I do?
Old 06 May 2005, 09:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Simple answer really mate..... don't drive it on motorways!!!

Its not what it was built for 8)
Old 07 May 2005, 12:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

You should be using your DCCD or you will get caught out one day when its a bit greasy and you give it a little to much around a roundabout.
When it is raining or just a bit of drissel try going round a roundabout and give it some throttle all the way round. Then go back to the roundabout with the DCCD set in the centre at the same speed as before. You will notice the extra grip and will even be able to go round much faster.
Old 07 May 2005, 04:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

You use your DCCD every time you drive the car, you just don't notice it!

There are plenty of options o get longer gearing and retaining the DCCD.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill-type-R
Im really not that sure I want the DCCD in the car at all! I never use it!

Either way, I'd like a 6 speed box, regards of cost (to be honest) I really do agree with bob, the gearing is perfect for track day use and for road use it can be a bit of a handfull because its always wanting to go faster.

When I cruise on the motorway, I just want to cruise, I dont want to feel like I'm a bat out of hell everytime I want a quiet jorney up the motorway!

The gearing is so good for the acceleration of the car, I dont deny it, but for when I like to go gentally, I cant do it and thats what I miss.

The Rover was great because it had such long legged gearing. I mean, I could do 105mph in 3rd gear! And this Subaru is so much better than the Rover. The car has so much more power, traction and everything else is perfect in my eyes (apart from that darn scoop!) and I want to make it even better with a 6 speed box. I believe it will be better again with that inside of it.

I know this might set a lot of opinions off, but seriously, what else can I do?
Old 07 May 2005, 05:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

I dont really push the car like that every time I get in it. I hardly go above the 60mph limits and I certainly dont push it like that because of that front diff that has been uprated. I dont feel safe doing it as I dont know the car properly.

I drive carefully until I feel right with the car. At the moment Im still taking it slowly and easy whenever I drive. I've no need to race or show off to anyone, I know its a hugely powerfull car, I know what it can do. I just dont use it I like the crusing side of things..