Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Gearbox noise PLease help
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Mar 2010, 06:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4
Gearbox noise PLease help

I have a 2004 STi and it seems that the gearbox or something is making a whinig or humming noise that seems to come from the front of the car when driving at approx more than 50kph. when the car is runing on neutral it makes the noise if y put 3rd gear in it makes it louder when i shift to 4th it partially goes away (hear it less than neutral) and when I shift to 5th it gets the worse of all.. by worse i mean it is loud but if i accelerate the car it is almost impossible to hear it beacause of normal engine/exhaust noise... also the noise gets louder as the car speeds up . for example driving downhill with the car in neutral gaining speed. It doesn't matter if the car is hot or just driving out of my house it always does it. First I thought it was a wheel bearing but already changed them and still the same noise. Any idea what this can be????
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2010, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
 
stiimpreza1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 7,475
Re: Gearbox noise PLease help

Did you check your gearbox oil could be running low on oil Id do that first if not that, might be the release bearing, or bearings in box been worn............
__________________
SEE NO EVO HEAR NO EVO!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2010, 07:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4
Re: Gearbox noise PLease help

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post
Did you check your gearbox oil could be running low on oil Id do that first if not that, might be the release bearing, or bearings in box been worn............
Thanks I just checked it and it is just below the low line... the thing is i don't know what brand of oil does it have in there, can i mix whatever oil is in therewiht something like motul 300 or should I change all the oil???...
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2010, 02:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
 
stiimpreza1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 7,475
Re: Gearbox noise PLease help

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmendoza View Post
Thanks I just checked it and it is just below the low line... the thing is i don't know what brand of oil does it have in there, can i mix whatever oil is in therewiht something like motul 300 or should I change all the oil???...
Just replace the oil fella drop out the old put in the new cant remember whats the proper motul for your lsd again someone will tell you soon Im sure
__________________
SEE NO EVO HEAR NO EVO!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2010, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Young Scooby
 
redscoobie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 64
Re: Gearbox noise PLease help

Do you have an Aftermarket clutch or flywheel? Mine makes one hell of a noise when coasting in gear with a zero sports street clutch and flywheel. It almost like there is a bag of nails in the gearbox. It seems this is common with all aftermarket clutch systems particulary with a lighweight flywheel. Aparantly, the flywheel almost acts like a speaker, resonating all the transmittion noises into the cabin. I have been back several times with it but get told that its common, and the only fix is to fit the OEM parts back in. As it cost 800 to get the a/m one fitted, i think i will stick with it for now as I have been assured by Zero sports its normal and will not damage the gearbox.

hope this helps mate!

Martyn
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2010, 07:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4
Re: Gearbox noise PLease help

hey just to let you know i changed the oil and noise was still there so i lifted up the car to hear where the noise was coming from and seemed to be from the center differential so i took it the shop to get it checked and i think is the "transfer drive bearing" or something like that said my mechanic that's causing the problem he's going to change all bearings just to be sure and hopefully problem solved...
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2010, 07:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4
Re: Gearbox noise PLease help

Quote:
Originally Posted by redscoobie View Post
Do you have an Aftermarket clutch or flywheel? Mine makes one hell of a noise when coasting in gear with a zero sports street clutch and flywheel. It almost like there is a bag of nails in the gearbox. It seems this is common with all aftermarket clutch systems particulary with a lighweight flywheel. Aparantly, the flywheel almost acts like a speaker, resonating all the transmittion noises into the cabin. I have been back several times with it but get told that its common, and the only fix is to fit the OEM parts back in. As it cost 800 to get the a/m one fitted, i think i will stick with it for now as I have been assured by Zero sports its normal and will not damage the gearbox.

hope this helps mate!

Martyn
Thanks for your help yes i do have an aftermarket clutch and lightweight flywheel and looking at your post maybe thanks to fkywheel speaker effect i could notice the problem early... i guess if not the damage to the differential would have been terrible....thanksss
Offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to replace Gearbox Oil stiimpreza1984 Engine Bay 4 02 Oct 2012 10:49 PM
Gearbox Noise?? Kedlestone Subaru Impreza Discussions 1 28 Dec 2009 01:20 AM
Air Rushing Noise - Please Help redscoobie Engine Bay 12 11 Jan 2009 08:30 PM
Droaning Noise from rear redscoobie Technical General 14 10 Dec 2008 11:07 AM
Wheel Bearing Noise from the Rear Bluebotle Technical General 7 24 Jun 2007 12:09 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:57 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.