Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

over heating problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Feb 2010, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Unhappy over heating problems

hi i have a problem with my coolent system when you run the car it pushes the water out of the over flow pipe when the temperture runs over half and just keeps going to the red if you let it, i have changed the water pump and shoved a hose down the header tank for block pipes but still does it... also when i have done this my heaters inside the car is always cold any ideas or is it the dreaded headf gasket that i think it is or could it be something else?????? any ideas as im puzzled now
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2010, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: over heating problems

where are u located?
It does sound like the dreaded HG but without a sniffer/pressure check its all pie in the sky.
Old 14 Feb 2010, 02:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

brixham devon... i think it is the headgasket but wont to be sure many thanks
Old 14 Feb 2010, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

With engine at normal temperature try to squeeze upper radiator hose. If you can squeeze it easily, then your radiator plug has failed. If if offers some resistance then the head gasket failed.
Old 14 Feb 2010, 05:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Technical_Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviiD View Post
With engine at normal temperature try to squeeze upper radiator hose. If you can squeeze it easily, then your radiator plug has failed. If if offers some resistance then the head gasket failed.
Hi, is this with the engine running or not ?
Only the system is pressurized so there will be some resistance,
I didnt want too much read into a firm top radiator hose thats all,
If the hose is rock solid or even misshaped then I would agree straight away with DaviiD,
It could be a failed Cap as these are common.
Old 14 Feb 2010, 06:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I've had a problem with Subaru legacy 2.5, which has radiator plug on the top of radiator, not on a separate container like Impreza GT. Cap has failed and coolant flowed not through the radiator but to expansion container (which sooner or later filled up and overflowed the coolant to engine bay).

There must be approx. 1 bar of pressure in the cooling system (when warmed up). If there is no pressure then you have a leak of dear radiator cap. If you have a lot of pressure even before the engine warmed up (when you rev it), bubbles in expansion container, then it's probably dead HG.
Old 14 Feb 2010, 08:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technical_Bob View Post
Hi, is this with the engine running or not ?
Only the system is pressurized so there will be some resistance,
I didnt want too much read into a firm top radiator hose thats all,
If the hose is rock solid or even misshaped then I would agree straight away with DaviiD,
It could be a failed Cap as these are common.
hi when the car is running it over heats on the temperture gauge, but the radiator hose is alright not missshaped and you can squeeze the pipe and you have some pressure in there but not rock hard?? all it does is it leaks out of the overflow pipe but can not get the heaters to get hot at all which is weird because if the H,G gone you should still get heat around the system????
Old 14 Feb 2010, 09:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

No heat is because you have air pocket trapped in your cooling system. You should bleed cooling system first.

I'd vote for head gasket problem. You could do a test to see if you have any signs of CO2 in coolant. If so, get a set of new HG.