Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

engine missfire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Feb 2005, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

engine missfire

Hi all,

I have a problem on my 1999 impreza turbo, it has a missfire between 1500-3000rpm but on some days its worse than other. I Have tried all the usual things like new plugs, plug leads, fuel filter and so on but nothing so far has worked. Is this a common problem? Any help with this would be appreciated.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2005, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Firstly welcome Sparky

OK - when you say misfire you can be a bit more specific - does it hesitate, splutter etc?

Can you list the bits that you have changed?

I can see

Plugs
HT Leads
Fuel Filter

I think it may well be your O2 sensor ?? - whats the mileage of the car ? How is your fuel consumption (I know scoobs are poor) but have you noticed that your consumption is even worse ? Have you checked your ECU for any fault codes ? What fuel are you running on ? What modifications if any are you running ?

Sorry for all the questions but this might help us narrow things down for you a bit 8)
Old 23 Feb 2005, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi Nelson

Thanks for your reply the milage on the car is 35000, i havn`t really noticed a difference in fuel comsumption but as you say they are bad anyway. I have run the car on shell optimax for the 18 months i have owned it, i havn`t had the ecu checked for codes as the check light has never been on and the only mod to the car is a magnex back box.

I hope this helps sorry for being so vague on the original message

Thanks again.
Old 23 Feb 2005, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to scooblou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky
Hi Nelson

Thanks for your reply the milage on the car is 35000, i havn`t really noticed a difference in fuel comsumption but as you say they are bad anyway. I have run the car on shell optimax for the 18 months i have owned it, i havn`t had the ecu checked for codes as the check light has never been on and the only mod to the car is a magnex back box.

I hope this helps sorry for being so vague on the original message

Thanks again.
Hiya Sparky

Not sure if the following post will help but your syptoms seem similar to mine and I'm still trying to get to the bottom of them :roll:

Check out this post mate:

http://www.subaru-impreza.org/subaru...pic.php?t=2830

Lou :wink:
Old 23 Feb 2005, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi Lou

Thanks for your reply to my problem i think i will get the o2 sensor checked out as it is only happening off boost and a number of people have already noted this as a possible problem. I will post a reply to let you know how i get on.

thanks again
sparky
Old 23 Feb 2005, 10:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

No worries mate

You can actually unplug the O2 sensor and see if the problem continues - this won't do any damage to your engine mate....but will help to prove if there is something wrong with it