Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Best guess please ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Feb 2010, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Best guess please ...

I just bought my first impreza a few days ago. Until I got it, it had quite an easy life, it's not been modified one bit was owned by old people ( I could smell 'em I swear ), it even had original stereo.

Then I got it, and wanted to see what it could do, probably drove it too fast, now I have some interesting noises, coming from what sounds like front diff, possibly drive shaft, and it's dripping a bit of gear oil, looks like I busted front driver side axle seal. The seal I can diagnose myself and have already looked at how to fix it properly, however what I can't diagnose is the clicking noise it makes when turning right out of a junction or when hitting potholes in the road. I don't think it's the axle bearing, I reckon it'd be making a lot lot more noise and I'd feel it through the pedals or steering wheel.

So best guesses before I have to take it to bits, what have I done ???
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2010, 02:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: Best guess please ...

the clicking could well be the CV joint,best be is to check all the fluid levels,possibly drain the chambers and check for swarf in the oil,if no swarf the cogs,etc, should be ok
Old 07 Feb 2010, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Re: Best guess please ...

some more info, when the oil in the gearbox warms up the clicking is much worse, it happens just rolling in gear and out of gear ...

I had a good look at the driveshaft when investigating the seal leak, it was off the car so I cleaned it up so I could check for cracks/leaks etc, there was no sign of obvious wear then ... I'll look again though, need to get some axle stands, only got jacks at home and not comfortable taking the whole frontend off the floor with jacks.
Offline   Reply With Quote