Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

gearbox

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Feb 2010, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

gearbox

hi guys i have a problem i was driving my subaru wrx 1995 import and i smelt oil on the exaust so i stopped and oil was falling from the front end of the gearbox! now the whole underside is covered in oil, and the gearbox is now topped up drove the car on the ramp to one hundred mph still no leak ! where has my leak gone?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2010, 11:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: gearbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyxkath View Post
hi guys i have a problem i was driving my subaru wrx 1995 import and i smelt oil on the exaust so i stopped and oil was falling from the front end of the gearbox! now the whole underside is covered in oil, and the gearbox is now topped up drove the car on the ramp to one hundred mph still no leak ! where has my leak gone?
You check the oil seals on box either side of driveshafts and also another oil seal going to propshaft rear of box? also was dipstick secure on the top of the box?
Old 03 Feb 2010, 07:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanks for reply from underneath the car the left hand driveshaft is really clean where oil has been running down the gearbox but i still do not understand how the car can lose so much oil then nothing i have now overfilled the gearbox with oil, still no leak! but thanks for your help as i live in spain and they do not know what a subaru is !!!! cheers tony
Old 03 Feb 2010, 03:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Hi are u 100% sure its coming from the gearbox and its not running from a engine oil leak ?
Old 03 Feb 2010, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

As Brett said^^^^^ might be a rear crankshaft oil seal (rear seal) at rear of engine and seeping engine oil and it running out the end of gearbox bellhousing if this the case thats the box out and flywheel off to get at seal, check the engine oil level asap
Old 03 Feb 2010, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

sorry this is driving me mad but after the car lost loads of oil on the side of the road i turned off the engine, after putting my fingers in the oil on the floor, and smelt gearbox oil, so i dipped the engine oil this was! and is! perfect so 100percent gearbox but it will not leak now all day cleaned underside of car now perfect again but still no leak ,but one thing i was doing 145 mph when it happened whoops any more help greatfully recieved tony
Old 04 Feb 2010, 12:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyxkath View Post
sorry this is driving me mad but after the car lost loads of oil on the side of the road i turned off the engine, after putting my fingers in the oil on the floor, and smelt gearbox oil, so i dipped the engine oil this was! and is! perfect so 100percent gearbox but it will not leak now all day cleaned underside of car now perfect again but still no leak ,but one thing i was doing 145 mph when it happened whoops any more help greatfully recieved tony
The dipstick never worked its way loose? by any chance if they no leaks now
Old 05 Feb 2010, 09:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

this is what i think had car out today and apart from a bit of smoke from off the exhaust car was perfect and still no leak drove 30 km so fingers crossed thanks guys for all your help cheers tony
Old 09 Feb 2010, 06:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

I had these symptoms exactly on a Turbo 2000 of the same year, the gearbox oil is going down, you just can't see it on the dipstick because we're human. I would bet, you need to get the axle shaft oil seal ( outside one, like an O-ring, it's 2 ) replaced ... everyone you talk to will say they never go, but they do obviously ...

This is still fresh in my mind, so incase you have a box of tools closeby:
Loosen ( do not remove ) the wheel nuts on the drivers side front wheel
Loosen ( do not remove ) the 32mm center nut that holds the drive shaft in the wheel hub
Jack up, put on axle stands or whatever, get it off the floor and remove the wheel completely
Then remove the 32mm center nut completely
Look where the wishbone connects to suspension leg, there's a 17/19mm nut with a retaining pin through the middle, remove the pin first then the nut
To get the wishbone off, I heated VERY carefully the exposed thread that the pin came out of and it came off without any real force ... don't jump on bars or hit with hammers ... you may need some help, or 5 arms ...
On the other side of the driveshaft is a pin going through the drive and axle shaft, remove the pin carefully, it'll tap all the way out and the driveshaft will come off
You should now drain your gear oil, you can see the plug clearly, remember to check the oil for chunks of metal !
Clean up that plate and do your markings ( don't mark on grease it'll come off and you'll **** it up )
Undo the 14mm bolt and remove the plate/bolt, then start counting and turning the plate round, keep counting ...
Replace the outside and inside oil seal, clean up the thread before you replace, and reverse the above procedure ...

When you take out the pin through the thread that holds the wishbone to the suspension, the pin might snap, mine did, see if you have another lying around, but do not leave it out, you need that pin ...

When you put the drive shaft back onto the axle shaft, make sure you line up the wholes for the pin that goes through both of em, don't hit the pin ( too hard ) with a hammer because it'll bend and again, you'll be ****ed.

You should get the workshop manuals lying around on the interweb, it has a proper explanation of the counting and marking and turning bit ...
Old 11 Feb 2010, 06:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thank you very much sorry its taken so long to reply , but i am going to look again today at scoobs so cheers for reply but ithink you are right and i will let you know tony