Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Clunky Diff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jan 2010, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Clunky Diff

I know the DCCDs are noisy but i think mine is shot If you try & put it into the first orange it seems to lock the rear wheels & jumps & bangs really bad (undrivable). Also when you come off the power it whines bad. Could it be something as simple as oil? or as i fear worse.

Thanks Ian
Old 30 Jan 2010, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Clunky Diff

Is it doing it at speed or just when you are driving slowly and turning the wheel?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2010, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

I dont dare move the switch while at speed as it makes the whole car judder very violently. I can move it forward 1 notch & its fine but no more than that.
Old 30 Jan 2010, 03:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAianM View Post
I dont dare move the switch while at speed as it makes the whole car judder very violently. I can move it forward 1 notch & its fine but no more than that.
Id have a expert have a look fella, catch it before it does any big damage if you can.
Old 30 Jan 2010, 07:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Money is really tight at the mo so will have to park it up untill i can afford to get it looked at. Like said ^^ dont want to do anymore damage It will give me time to give the whole car a good look over i suppose.
Old 30 Jan 2010, 08:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

What oil you use Ian and are the levels ok in the box and rear diff? also when you get a chance drop the oil in both and see if any large chunks of metal if so in trouble, tiny small bits are ok but a small amount will have clung to your magnetic drain bolts let us know how it goes
Old 30 Jan 2010, 09:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Got a mate to change the oil about 6 months ago as he has a workshop. Not sure what oil he used but he has had some nice performance cars so i think (hope) he knows what hes doing. But maybe not. Thats why im trying to learn more about them so i can do things myself The car drives ok if i leave the DCCD alone
Old 30 Jan 2010, 11:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Got a mate to change the oil about 6 months ago as he has a workshop. Not sure what oil he used but he has had some nice performance cars so i think (hope) he knows what hes doing. But maybe not. Thats why im trying to learn more about them so i can do things myself The car drives ok if i leave the DCCD alone
Use of the worng oil could cause issues with your diff. Ask him what he used and if necassary get it changes asap mate. I determine what parts, fluids etc. go on/in my car after a lot of research no matter what a mechanic or mate says. That way I know what is going in is the right stuff.
Old 31 Jan 2010, 01:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Just as Wayne said if you dont have the proper additives in the oil for lsd the plates dont slip easly causing rough operation happened to a friends car in his Integra Type R he put in normal gear oil and gearbox when you make a full lock turn in a car park driving slow, diff was very noisy in it he changed it and I put in the genuine Honda oil as their an lsd in that box and problem solved to as honda gear oil had the lsd additive no more noise try to get in the proper oil as soon as you can as not doing your diff any favours also check the rear diff to what oil he used as they have an lsd in rear diff I think to
Old 31 Jan 2010, 01:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

WARNING - Rear Diff and Gearbox Oil - TYPE RA [Archive] - Type-RA.co.uk - Forum for Subaru Impreza WRX Type RA, WRX STi, Spec-C, S202, Type RA-R
Old 31 Jan 2010, 02:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Nice one Darren. I Know what ones are ok now to use
Old 31 Jan 2010, 08:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

After a lot of reading on oil im still confused a little. Is the gearbox & diff oil the same stuff Sorry if that a dumb question
Old 31 Jan 2010, 08:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Ignore that last post ive just re read the info on opie oils
Old 01 Feb 2010, 05:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Ok another question for you experts. Put the car up on a lift at the local tyre place to have a look under neath & found oil pi$$ing out of the rear diff so i need new gasket for it. On more inspection i noticed that there was a lot of play iin the drive shaft, front to back of car (rubbers rather worn) Should i be able to push the shaft up & down or should it be solid
Old 01 Feb 2010, 06:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Ok another question for you experts. Put the car up on a lift at the local tyre place to have a look under neath & found oil pi$$ing out of the rear diff so i need new gasket for it. On more inspection i noticed that there was a lot of play iin the drive shaft, front to back of car (rubbers rather worn) Should i be able to push the shaft up & down or should it be solid
Which seal is the oil coming out from? also the propshaft has a bit of play but shouldnt be loads either depends on how much? ever notice when say you turn a bend at slow speed if you went off the power then back on thats play on the propshaft but some is ok but depends how much it makes a clonk sound if unsure just get it looked at it better to be safe

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 01 Feb 2010 at 07:12 PM.