Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

expansion tank/bottle ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jan 2010, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

expansion tank/bottle ?

hi huys n gals, im new to the whole scooby scene so be gentle with me
ok, i have a 96 sti and its losing coolant.....im 99% sure its leaking from the coolant bottle in the wing [if i blow down the pipe and put my hand over the filler hole i can hear bubbling in the wing and water splashes-out]
so question is peeps, do i need to remove the wing to get access to the tank? and any tips on removal of parts to gain access greatfully recieved........
thanks all
slug
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2010, 12:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: expansion tank/bottle ?

The rubber hose on top of the expansion tank is just an over flow and sits inside the wing for an overflow of coolant but should go away and do a pressure test to find where the leak is to be 100% sure you should try inside the car drivers and passengers footwell for wet carpet as this could be the heater core in heater matrix leaking coolant rare enough but happens
Old 30 Jan 2010, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: expansion tank/bottle ?

no m8, you missunderstand me.........i blew down the pipe at the bottom [the one that joins metal-header-tank to the wing bottle] and put my hand over the top hole [to make it airtight] but lots of water escaped when i blew, so im guessing my wing-bottle is broken [maybe it froze/expanded back in the icy spell]?
either way i was after some tips for getting access to this bottle in the wing
thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote