Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Please Help Me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Feb 2005, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Please Help Me

My 95 import wrx has been running very rough like its going to die on me At first i thought i could be the plugs but now sounds like im drowning it with fuel
The car seems a lot worse when cold but is still bad when it warms up . Some people i have spoke to have sugested i reset the ecu but as i know little about cars i thought i best post on here first.
Also how do i reset the ecu?

Thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2005, 11:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Hi mate

OK ECU reset - 2 options for you first is to disconnect the battery overnight or you can do it the manual way. To do this you will need to get on your back (have a torch handy) and climb into the footwell (drivers side). Look for 2 sets of plugs - one set are green and one set is black....they may be taped up and might not be obvious. Have a good poke around cos they will be there.

Next up you will need to plug the 2 greens into one another and the same for the black plugs. Right slide yourself out of the footwell and sit in the car. OK next up you need to turn on the ingition but not the car - you may need to deactivate the alarm (this enables your fuel pump) and listen out for whirring from the radiator fan and other clicking noises etc. Give it 10 seonds or so and then depress the throttle slowly to the floor - hold it for about 3 seconds and release. now start the engine and drive off (try and keep your speed about 5MPH). If all is well you will see the check engine light flash continuosly - if it doesnt then it means you have a fault code. If this happens please post back up and I'll let you know how to retrieve the codes

I won't bore you with any other thoughts I have on your problem until you've doen the reset - no point in jumping the gun

HTH
Old 17 Feb 2005, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
nice one Karl, was trying to find your original post on resetting a classic

Buzz
Old 18 Feb 2005, 02:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Never seen a ECU effect a car this way. Maybe hesitation or underpowered. This problem of rough running and engine trying to die is usually the result of a dead or dieing MAF.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Or it could be Coil Packs if its an older Scoob
Old 18 Feb 2005, 06:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for all your help i am going to buy a maf sensor asap.
Does anyone know how much they cost and where is the best place to buy one from.

Cheers
Old 18 Feb 2005, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Easiest way to reset the ECU? Disconnect the negative battery cable, and press on the brake pedal for 5-10 seconds.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
First port of call would be local scooby dealers, think stevehull bought one recently for about 65 ish?

Buzz
Old 19 Feb 2005, 12:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Sorry to say mate but you have the older style MAF sensor that comes with the housing aswell Only the MY99/00 Classics have the removable MAF sensors

Best thing is to buy a second hand one from Grade A or Scoobybits. They test the sensors when removed from a scrapped Impreza and I have bought a few of these from them in the past and they work fine I think the MAF you need is around the 300 mark as opposed to the 65 for the newer style MAF's.

What you could try is unplugging the MAF sensor and seeing what reaction this has on your car. Baiscally what you need to do is warm the car up (take it for a nice drive). Park up - lift the bonnet and unplug the MAF connection. If the sensor is working correctly then the car should splutter and try to die. Plugging it back in will sort this out. If however you unplug it and the car continues to idle without issue then that pretty much confirms that the MAF is shot
Old 19 Feb 2005, 09:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I unplugged the maf sensor today and the car just stoped so i have no idea what to do next.
Any ideas

Thanks for all your help on this
Old 19 Feb 2005, 04:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

OK well the test you have undertaken would indicate that the MAF is ok.

So what to do next.....

First thing to try is to check all the intercooler pipework.....sorry it just came to me but you are saying its like the car is massively overfueling ?? I have seen the very same symptoms and it was the i/c hose split. You can inspect the pipework beneath the intercooler but I would suggest removing the intercooler altogether and having a bloody good look around the pipework. It only needs a split to be present for the car to run like a Bag of shite

If all looks well with the intercooler hoses then next up check all the other pipes - like the ones that run to the airbox. If all pipework us fine then I would move to the ignition side of things andy remove the coil packs (these connect to the spark plugs) and inspect them. ANy signs of damage could mean this is a problem. Next remove the spark plugs and insepect them. What colour are the plugs and what sort of condition are they in ?

I hope this helps