Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

c.diff not working

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jan 2010, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

c.diff not working

hi every1, can some1 help me please i have a 1997 sti import and im not sure about the c diff, when i move the c.diff wheel forward or backwards nothing happens, from wot i can understand of my japanese owner manual is that a light should come on underneath the temp. gauge saying FWD (but nothing happens its as if theres no power going to the c.diff wheel). In my work shop manual it says this will only happen if the fuse is in the c.diff locking circuit, DOES ANY1 KNOW WHERE THIS CIRCUIT IS OR WHERE THE FUSE SHOULD GO? any help would be appreciated as this is my first scooby and its doing my nut in, (feels more like rwd not 4wd)

thanks
james

Last edited by tysgas; 13 Jan 2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: no power ti c.diff wheel
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2010, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Re: c.diff not working

Is it an STI RA or type R?
Old 13 Jan 2010, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i havent got a clue to be honest with you mate on my log book it says jialing, how would i tell?
Old 13 Jan 2010, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Which Car is a WRX STi

Check codes here
Old 13 Jan 2010, 04:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanks for that mate i think its i wrx sti version 3
Old 13 Jan 2010, 04:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

No probs. Glad it helped That means you not got dccd??
Old 13 Jan 2010, 04:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

do you know why would i have the controls for it then ive got the wheel and the switch to to switch between manual and auto, cos at the mo it feels like i own a bmw again, seems like its rear wheel drive, sorry to be a nuisance but its my first scooby and i dont know a lot about them yet but i am learning slowly
Old 13 Jan 2010, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Im pretty sure only RAs & type R had it on 97 STI but i could be wrong. Wont be the first time Has it got the control lights on the dash? Lock etc
Old 13 Jan 2010, 04:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

no ive got nothing like that, in my work shop manual it says this happens when the fuse is put in the c.diff locking circuit, and thats wot i cant find, probably cos its not even there strange why they would pu the controls there??
Old 13 Jan 2010, 05:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Im sure someone will be along in a bit who may be able to help.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 10:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysgas View Post
hi every1, can some1 help me please i have a 1997 sti import and im not sure about the c diff, when i move the c.diff wheel forward or backwards nothing happens, from wot i can understand of my japanese owner manual is that a light should come on underneath the temp. gauge saying FWD (but nothing happens its as if theres no power going to the c.diff wheel). In my work shop manual it says this will only happen if the fuse is in the c.diff locking circuit, DOES ANY1 KNOW WHERE THIS CIRCUIT IS OR WHERE THE FUSE SHOULD GO? any help would be appreciated as this is my first scooby and its doing my nut in, (feels more like rwd not 4wd)

thanks
james
As Ian says, you should have a series of green going to orange lights in your dash(like in the pic below, between rev counter and temp gauge)

Unsure about the wiring or the circuit, but I'll check my manual for the fuse location in a bit. Sounds like you may have a standard c diff that has just been locked by placement of a fuse as your manual says. Not heard of that before but I guess removal of the fuse should restore full AWD to your car.

Re the DCCD, if you don't have those lights then the dash at least is not from an RA equipped car. I think a previous owner may just have replaced the part of the interior with the scroll wheel (the big plastic bit over the transmission tunnel. Dunno what it's called) with a part from an RA/R. To determine wether you do have DCCD, scroll the wheel all the way forward (towards front of car) and set off slowly with steering at full lock. If you get a horrible, heavy clunking noise and the car jerks all over the place you have the DCCD. If it is nice and smooth you don't and the little scroll wheel doesn't do anything and shouldn't be there.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 11:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanks for the advice mate, really appreciate it, ill have to give it a go when the 6 inches of snow has gone, was out in it in the car earlier loads of fun, now that you mention that though i do remember reversing whilst at full lock and there was the clunking noise and jerking but i put it down to the new clutch i had fitted (would it do it in reverse), if i do have the DCCD could it be that the car is an import and when they changed the clocks from kmh to mph is there a chance that they may have fitted the wrong clocks???? long shot i know but anything is possible
Old 13 Jan 2010, 11:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

The easiest way to tell what you have is for you to post up the applied model code. This can be found on the same plate as the VIN. Also pic would help if you don't know/can't find the Applied Model code.

If it is an Import, then by law it has to be converted to Mph to be driven in the UK. This could be done by putting stickers over the old clocks or by replacing the clocks. As for the car getting the wrong dash in the factory, anything is possible I guess, but I'd say as good as impossible, esp in a Japanese car. They are nothing if not fastidious over here.
Old 14 Jan 2010, 12:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i didnt mean wrong dash at the factory soz mate, i meant maybe they replaced with wrong clocks when changing from kmh to mph, i was sent a link earlier to check wot car it was and it came up as a wrx sti vers3, which ive been told may not even have DCCD
Old 14 Jan 2010, 12:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

STi V3 didn't have DCCD I'm afraid. If that is definitely what you have then, unless someone replaced the gearbox with an RA one, your little scrolly wheel is superfluous.