Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

drivetrain / diff???? help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jan 2010, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Exclamation drivetrain / diff???? help

hello again, ok i will start with apologising for all the questions but i think this is the last one only just properly signed up to this forum so just wanna get them off my chest.

the problem is a little hard to explain any way here goes,
when i change the dccd to anything other than open when driving slow and at full lock it makes a horrible clunking noise and actually feels as if some off the wheels are locking briefly this really is quite worrying.

the next related problem is really very small compared, but have noticed when driving in the snow (open diff) as it loses and gains grip i get a very faint knocking noise from the wheels. is this normal?

other than these problems when driving on a normal day in open diff everything is fine

sorry again for all the questions but can anyone help.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2010, 01:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: drivetrain / diff???? help

wrx sti ra dccd ?????? explains in full bud look at the rikimaru(Wayne) posts and links will tell you good links their also should run the DCCD in open always, and only dial up to lock when weather is bad so you can send more power to the front as when diff open think power 35/65 (front/back) round that and when you dial it up to lock diff the power slowly gets balanced out to where if you lock the diff the power is even 50/50 front and back also dont be making slow turns in diff lock that noise your getting is diff wind but Id say, when you driving and say the diff close to being locked you might get that horrible noise diff wind subaru say it normal but I hate the noise, so rarely use the DCCD only now with the ice, playing a bit with it, personally diff wind alrite to an extent but I would not be locking the diff and turning slow as you might strip teeth off the diff and thats bad real bad costly for a diff hope it helps on the last point when the car set to open diff and you say you get a knock noise is it coming from the centre underneath car as it might be bit of backlash off the propshaft that normal really if thats the noise you getting

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 09 Jan 2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09 Jan 2010, 07:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Young Scooby

stiimpreza 1984 thanks alot for you reply mate thats put my mind at rest.

the other noise i said about in open diff its hard to tell were is coming from it could be coming from the centre.
but as i said this really is a very small amount and only really in snow.

thanks again.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 02:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Glad to help