Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Thought I'd Blown It

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Feb 2005, 06:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thought I'd Blown It

Had a mad 5 minutes racing another scooby yesterday. All was going well, we were both hitting 120mph and the adrenalin was pumpin' We waved to each amicably as we both went our separate ways. I had to stop to give way to a car coming from my right. I pulled away fairly quickly then had to stop at some lights after going up a slight hill. I had noticed the revs were quite low previously at the roundabout, but when I stopped at the lights the engine died completely. I immediately tried to start her up and ......nothing! She was trying to start but wouldn't......panic set in as I thought I'd blown the turbo or something more serious had happened! I put my hazards on and flicked the bonnet up, no sign of any oil leak or anything, but obviously the engine was fairly hot still!

I tried to start her up a couple more times, again she tried but wouldn't/couldn't. I was causing quite a traffic jam by now, so started to push the scooby out of the way which is no mean feat when you're a lone female !! Two guys saw me struggling and helped me push her out of the traffic.

I had also left the house without my mobile so when cars were stopping at the traffic lights I was asking everyone if they had a phone, only one young guy offered me his phone, all the others were just shaking their heads!

I tried in desperation to get hold of Subaru Assist but the line was engaged and I didn't really want to keep the guy waiting so as a last resort I rang my brother and asked him to come out to where I was and to bring his phone.

I waited about 30 minutes without trying to start her up and then tentatively tried to start her and this time she started - just as if nothing had happened! I didn't want to tempt fate, so switched her off again and waited another 15 minutes. She started again perfectly.

It scared me so much to think I nearly lost her - you've never seen me drive home so slowly in all your life!

Has anyone ever experienced this with the revs dying like that or has anyone any idea what may be the problem? I don't use her every day, but when I do I always make sure she is up to temperature before hitting the gas. It would have been a good day, what with the excitement of the "chase", now it's put me off ever doing anything like that ever again.

Any feedback welcome - cheers
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2005, 09:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Hi

I can imagine you had quite a scare - 2 things I would check. MAF sensor and ICV (idle control valve). This can do exactly what you have explained when the car gets hot. Might be worth checking the ECU for fault codes.
Old 01 Feb 2005, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

http://www.subaru-impreza.org/subaru...cu+fault+codes

heres thread to the fault codes\
hope this helps
Old 05 Feb 2005, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Young Scooby

A good way of moving a car that won't start is to put the car in first gear, release the clutch and crank the engine. The power of the starter will move the car....ideal for quickly moving the car short distances on your own and especially if you are a smaller lady (and the car is in an unsafe position). Just be ready to put the clutch in quickly should the engine start!
Old 05 Feb 2005, 06:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to cat17
blown it

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherphil
A good way of moving a car that won't start is to put the car in first gear, release the clutch and crank the engine. The power of the starter will move the car....ideal for quickly moving the car short distances on your own and especially if you are a smaller lady (and the car is in an unsafe position). Just be ready to put the clutch in quickly should the engine start!
Good piece of advice there Phil - always handy to know :wink: