Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Tranny problems in cold weather

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2005, 02:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Tranny problems in cold weather

Hey everyone-

I have a slight issue w/my scoob. It's a '93 Impreza L FWD (1.8L), US model. Lately with the colder winter weather it has been refusing to allow the car to shift into reverse until it has warmed up quite a bit. it is an Auto Transmission, and sometimes it takes 20-30 min. to get the car warm enough to shift.

I recently had it tuned by a prof. mechanic, and he checked the tranny fluid while he was at it. I checked it myself two days ago, and it is clean with no signs of excess moisture or burn.

The situation boils down to last summer, I was driving down the freeway when the speedometer suddenly dropped from 85 to 0 mph. I took the dashboard bezel and the instrument cluster apart to see if the cable (93's are pre-electrical) had slipped off. Turned out that it had just come loose from the tranny bell housing. I was able to resecure it with my hand alone and everything worked fine until now.

My question is, has anyone had a similar problem with their car? Is it just something that happens with the cars with age? Would anyone recommend replacing the small circuit board behind the instrument panel (that controls the AT), or should I just pipe air from the tube that connects to the driver's side window blower (on the dashboard, not the vent) so that is warms up the back of the instrument panel faster?

Any ideas? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Pickle
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2005, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
Thats interesting, most of us on the site are here in the uk, but we do have a few members from accross the "pond".

There was a post recently about a similar problem over here with manual transmitions and the fact that they can be a bit difficult to engage when colder weather.

Would have thought the problem was more transmition related than behind the dash, but it may be worth ducting some air over onto the pcb to see if that will help.

Not much use to you but do keep us posted

Buzz
Old 08 Jan 2005, 12:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks Buzz.

It is a unique problem. The only other option is to drain the tranny completely and then refill it with clean fluid, but it seems that the fluid is good already.

I did read the problem about the manual transmission with the shifting problems, but it's a bit of a different situation with mine.

Thanks for accepting us Yanks. I'd rather watch rally races any day over NASCAR. It just seems to me to be a more challenging sport, and I'm disappointed it has not been as big over here.

Well, I think piping a hole is my next option. Thanks for the info.

Later,

Pickle
Old 08 Jan 2005, 05:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

no problem accepting anyone on this site, all are welcome.

We have a lady from seattle on the site who rallies a bugeye hatchback and is doing damn well too.

What part of the us are you in?

Buzz
Old 08 Jan 2005, 07:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Buzz

I live in southwestern Utah, in a small town called Cedar City. I'm not sure if you've ever heard of Zion National Park, it attracts tourists from all over the world, but I live about 20-30 min from the entrance. I'm a student at Southern Utah University working on a Bachelors of Marketing degree. One of my dream jobs would be a regional Marketing rep. on the U.S. west coast for Subaru of America.

The nice thing about living in a small town around here is that there are some great dirt roads for both my Impreza and my Jeep. I have a Sony Cybershot camera with a video mode, but the quality is poor. I'm hoping to get a DVR-based camera that I can record rally shots in my Scoob. Nothing serious, I've only cleared air once but I've "gone light" a few times at about 60 mph. The struts and shocks need replacing, so I'm not worried about completely shooting them. It doesn't handle as well as an AWD, but with the turbo-style intake and a few other minor modifications I've made, it handles pretty well for an engine w/180K miles on it. Once I get out of college, I plan garaging it after I get a new daily driver and adding the full rollcage, a Japanese turbo'd engine from an EJ20 WRX, ARH suspension kit, full rims and Pirelli tyres, and turning it into a tarmac track racer. It would be a shame to junk it since it is in such great shape, but w/o AWD it would be very hard to compete in the amateur SCCA ralleys.

One more little fact about me: For my 25th birthday last year, my wife and I went to a local Subaru dealership and spent several hours just looking at and test driving Foresters, Imprezas, Legacies, and Outbacks. Granted, I wasn't buying at the moment, but rather planning for the future. Fellow has to have his dreams. Not only that, but I think I gave the fledgling salesman (I think he'd been there 2 months and was still learning) a newfound respect for the cars he represents and what they're capable of.

Cheers

Pickle
Old 08 Jan 2005, 07:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Fair play to you sir, taking the girl off road whilst only semi specked up, like the term "gone light" :wink:

Have heard of Zion national park.

Sounds good the plans you have for the furure for the scooby, nice to see em on the track :wink:

Buzz