Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

93 WRX starts then stalls when cold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Nov 2009, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Unhappy 93 WRX starts then stalls when cold

Hi. Ive hoping someone may be able to help me. I have a 1993 wrx. I bought the car a few months ago with a few bits missing. Ive replaced the missing parts and it runs fine when its warm.

When its cold however its starts straight away but then starts to stall after 10 seconds. If I keep the throttle slightly down for 60 secs it will then idle but skips up and down. Once its reeched normal operating temperatuure its fine.

When i got the car the vacuum pipe to the fuel pressure valve was not connected. The car started and idled fine. But would not pull under load. Now its connected it runs as above.

I have allready changed the engine temp sensor and knock sensor as theese showed up as at fault. But no joy. Ive also cleaned the idle air control valve.

Has anyone had this problem.
Any suggestions appreciated
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2009, 09:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: 93 WRX starts then stalls when cold

If you unplug the maf does it do the same?
Old 26 Nov 2009, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I will try tommorow and post results. thanks
Old 27 Nov 2009, 02:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

The fuel pressure regulator the vacuum hose you fitted, the hose was not blocked by any chance or the copper pipe from regulator as these can kink might be blocking vacuum a bit did you put that pipe back onto intake manifold? Would it ever be a faulty fuel pressure regulator????
Old 27 Nov 2009, 05:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi. I disconected the maf sensor today. The engine starts and idles fine but misses when I accelerate. Could this be the problem. Im getting an airbox from a breakers to replace the cone filter thats on at the moment. I could get a maf to try at the same time. If it solves the problem I will buy a new one .
The vac pipes are new and the vacuum seems to be fine.
Thank you for your imput.
Old 29 Nov 2009, 02:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jods007 View Post
Im getting an airbox from a breakers to replace the cone filter thats on at the moment. I could get a maf to try at the same time. If it solves the problem I will buy a new one .
Let us know how it goes might be a long shot proberly is but you try the small things like leads and plugs and the gap in plugs might not help but be worth a try normally the smallest of things cars cars
Old 07 Dec 2009, 12:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

that exacly the same problems i have been having lately jods007 and i am not getting anywhere if anybody can help plz do cause ive checked the plugs,coil packs etc etc and getting no where so any help would be brand new the down pipe lambder sensor is not connected but i have been told this dont matter, even tho i had these probs the car still passed its m.o.t.........
Old 08 Dec 2009, 02:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Unhappy Re: 93 WRX starts then stalls when cold

hello again i have now tried to connect the lambda sensor from the downpipe and to find that the connector on the loom is missing or i cant find if its been cut why do people do this ...was wondering if i connected the wires from the downpipe to the headers lambda sensor would this work?.....