Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Tyre choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Nov 2004, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Tyre choice

Hi all, Iam wondering if anyone can offer me some advice on tyres and geometery set up.

I've only been driving my newly bought 1999 turbo for a couple of weeks and finding the handling to be twitchy at times and experiencing ocasional tramlining effects. As the suspension is standard I can only assume its the tryes. Its fitted with Bridgestone Potenza S.03's on 17" prodrive alloys. Does anyone know if this could be down the type of tyres or would a geometery set up be required to solve the problem.
I am sure you've heard all this before but any help would be great

Thanks

DC
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2004, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Hi Darren - sounds like you are enjoying the car

If you are experiencing these sorts of problems it could well be down to the tyres or the setup. I assume the tyres have a decent amount of tread on them ? the Bridgestones are a popular choice amongst Impreza owners. I have Falken 451's fitted to my car and occassionaly I do experience a bit of tramlining and I had the same with the previous Pirelli P Zeros I had fitted. I have been told by someone in the know that the lower profile tyres are more prone to slight tramlining, but don't know how much of this is true. I haven't as yet had my geometry checked and like you it is something I am considering. It will certainly not do any harm to get the wheels checked as it only take a nasty pothole or something to throw on or more out. Do you notice anything else with the car - does the steering wheel wobble when travelling at speed ?? It might also be worth getting all the suspension checked at the same time just to make sure that the dampers etc are not too worn.

Just a few thoughts
Old 25 Nov 2004, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks

Thanks for the info Nelson,

The rear tyres are brand new and the front loads of tread left. There is some vibration through the steering wheel but not drastic, and everything else about the car is spot on as its only covered 53000 miles. I have been recomended by a friend at work that goodyear's offer higher grip levels and control but still unsure of this. Perhaps a geometery check is in order. I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks again

DC
Old 25 Nov 2004, 03:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

No worries mate

Quick word of warning though on the Good years !!

2 scoob owners both running with Goodyears and major problems with the tyre walls splitting etc Theres a thread on my site about this if you fancy a bit of light reading
Old 25 Nov 2004, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
Hi Darren, have Bridgestone Potenza Re040 17 inchers and have the same problem (loads of tread too).
Think it is more noticable since I fitted the strut braces.

Buzz