Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

MAF!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Sep 2009, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

MAF!!!!

hi there, having a bit of the old idle trouble!!.

i have a 2000 turbo impreza with a k and n iduction kit. the car seems to idle between 1000rpm and 1500rpm. should i get a fault code, because im not getting anything. also the car is pretty bad on fuel and im thinking that the MAF could also cause this??? the car drives ok, just idles high. i also cleaned out the icv aswell but it hasnt helped.
from what ive seen on here, 99/00 turbos are prone.
thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2009, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: MAF!!!!

if theMAF has gone on a MY99/00 it's not very often a code comes up,mine went,but had no idea until my mapper couldn't get her above 275bhp,70 later n job done,also make sure the filter is clean,soak in Brake cleaner and then blast it through with an airline if you can get hold of one..
Old 28 Sep 2009, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

wow that was quick! should i try brake cleaner before i get a new one? where the cheapest place to get them? did you find it any better on fuel? im thinking i might just put the standard airbox back on anyway

cheers for the replay
Old 28 Sep 2009, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

go for it,no harm in trying

got mine from the Main Dealer round here,a scoob better on fuel??.....yeah it did improve,but,as it was running the higher and proper power figures the consumption went down,due to a huge amount of hard right foot useage

Airbox is good as long as there's a decent high flow filter in it,both Green and K&N pannels will work find upto 350bhp oiro..
Old 28 Sep 2009, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i think im just gona buy one. i thought they was more than that. my brother in-law has a bugeye import and he sed his is a fair bit better than mine on fuel. thanks for the replay mate. i was gona sell it but im gona convince the missus that it will be better on fuel
Old 28 Sep 2009, 07:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

luckily for us MY99/00 owners we have the cheap MAF of all the scoobs!!

if you get it mapped the fuel consumption will improve,but all depends on mods and how much you want/or are allowed to spend
Old 28 Sep 2009, 08:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

getting married next week so unfortunitly youre right. i hope they are cheaper the amount people must go threw.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 08:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

good luck for next week then bud

the original one on mine lasted 8 years,so it's not too bad..
Old 30 Sep 2009, 02:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanks, just put the car in the garage as its got warrenty, so i'll let keep you posted.
Old 09 Oct 2009, 02:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

quick update.....i took my car to a local garage who sed they would look at it under warranty. three days later i got a phone call saying they cleaned the throttle body and repositioned the butterlfy flap and it helped the idle, but now the engine managment light flashes and it now has a flat spot..... but not only have they f'd it up but the warranty wont cover it and i now have a bill. they sed the next step is to get subaru to have a look, but it would cost me more. i sed i wasnt very happy as they didnt even ring me and ask if i wanted to pay for the work as i would have sed no. i sed they need to sort the car out first because they must have done something wrong then ring me back.
i rang them back the next day and told another guy there what happened and he sed he would ring me back.
he rang me back with an appology and sed i didnt need to pay and put the butterfly flap back to where it was which stopped the engine light and flat spot.
i got it back home and took the maf of and cleaned it with a cotton bud also cleaned the air filter and its helped loads!! its idles under a 1000rpm. i think im still gonna buy a new one tho.

also checked my ecu as i have the prodrive pipe and it says sp sti on it....take it thats a prodrive ecu? i have a full decat.....i heard its not good for the car with ppp?!