Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Classic Sports Cat Opinion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2009, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Classic Sports Cat Opinion

Hi all,

Looking for a cheap cat to get me through the MOT, any comments on this please ?

SUBARU IMPREZA TURBO EXHAUST SPORTS CAT FRONT PIPE on eBay (end time 04-Oct-09 08:39:53 BST)
Old 27 Sep 2009, 09:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248
Re: Classic Sports Cat Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-WRX-Import View Post
Hi all,

Looking for a cheap cat to get me through the MOT, any comments on this please ?

SUBARU IMPREZA TURBO EXHAUST SPORTS CAT FRONT PIPE on eBay (end time 04-Oct-09 08:39:53 BST)

Just pop an original centre cat back on for mot... it will fly through NO probs

If you go for sport cat... then wave good bye to 20 Hp

Last edited by nobby248; 28 Sep 2009 at 08:04 AM. Reason: type o
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2009, 07:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby248 View Post
Just pop an original centre cat back on for mot... it will fly through NO porbs

Thats not true fella, you only lose a few bhp between a Sports cat and Decat also looking at that Downpipe you wont be able to pop the 2nd cat back in as that shape pipe goes to the centre section,
so if you do go down that route make sure its the short style downpipe.
hth
Bob
Old 28 Sep 2009, 08:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post
Thats not true fella, you only lose a few bhp between a Sports cat and Decat also looking at that Downpipe you wont be able to pop the 2nd cat back in as that shape pipe goes to the centre section,
so if you do go down that route make sure its the short style downpipe.
hth
Bob
Added weight of sport cat will also be a disadvantage... centre pipe comes straight off again after MOT

My engine tuner assures me that up to 20 Hp can be lost by fitting a sport cat down pipe...and I trust his word.... also they can be hit and miss with the MOT's they need to be very, very hot to pass the emmisions test (ask my bro BRUMBRUM for his experience) with 100 cell type...and have been known to be failed... 200 cell type are even heavier and more power robbing than 100 cell

Weight is the performance killer... why add more weight?

It only takes 10 mins to whip on the stock centre cat and the same to re-fit the centre de-cat... and it will fly MOT... no brainer

IMHO
Old 28 Sep 2009, 08:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

got a 100cpi unit on mine,passes every time,been on the car 5 years now!!
Old 28 Sep 2009, 08:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pilot View Post
got a 100cpi unit on mine,passes every time,been on the car 5 years now!!
Hi matey... That's because your MOT man is a relative

Brum failed first attempts... hee hee 100 cell... but a bit of warming up sorted it
Old 28 Sep 2009, 08:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Added weight of sport cat will also be a disadvantage... centre pipe comes straight off again after MOT

My engine tuner assures me that up to 20 Hp can be lost by fitting a sport cat down pipe...and I trust his word.... also they can be hit and miss with the MOT's they need to be very, very hot to pass the emmisions test (ask my bro BRUMBRUM for his experience) with 100 cell type...and have been known to be failed... 200 cell type are even heavier and more power robbing than 100 cell

Weight is the performance killer... why add more weight?

It only takes 10 mins to whip on the stock centre cat and the same to re-fit the centre de-cat... and it will fly MOT... no brainer

IMHO
If thats true your telling me you get 50 bhp from a decat ?
Sorry fella but that mans having a pull of ur pud, I got 33 bhp from a sports cat downpipe on my bugeye, so if I fitted a decat id get another 20bhp lol
Its been tested in the mags I dont just quote pub figures fella, If I thought id gain another 20 bhp Id have gone down that route myself,
They always tell you to wrap a sports cat to get round the heat issues for mots,
If you have a pre 1995 I wholely agree with decats as its no issue but after that why have the problem every 12 months you own the car for 4 or 5 bhp ?
One thing you havent thought of is back pressure, we all want a free flowing exhaust but we do need some back pressure(saves those turbo seals for one), again its been noted that a sports cat helps retain a little back pressure whilst allowing better flow,
The big differeance is actually the flow and size of the system and the type of openeing on the said downpipe,
Ive seen decat pipes that arent bell mouth type, well I see no gain of even fitting one of these to a car, the main gain over a subaru downpipe is the open bell mouth type which is where the earlier spooling and gains are made as is always said imho but its based on testing lol, not hear say/pub talk or what my mate says,
Ive tested various downpipes and exhausts on the 3 scoobies ive owned and never rush into spending money as I hate wasting it lol
Old 28 Sep 2009, 08:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Hi matey... That's because your MOT man is a relative

Brum failed first attempts... hee hee 100 cell... but a bit of warming up sorted it
before my mate was VOSA trained,it used to go to the garage i used to work at as a young 'un,even with a tester that didn't know the car or me,it still flew through

spose the cat depends on the manacturer,plenty of cheap versions out there that are said to be "branded",only proper one to go for is the Heyward Scott 100CPI unit,when i bolted mine on,gained 20ish bhp over the standard cat with free flow cat back system,took me exactly to 300 bhp
Old 28 Sep 2009, 01:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
before my mate was VOSA trained,it used to go to the garage i used to work at as a young 'un,even with a tester that didn't know the car or me,it still flew through

spose the cat depends on the manacturer,plenty of cheap versions out there that are said to be "branded",only proper one to go for is the Heyward Scott 100CPI unit,when i bolted mine on,gained 20ish bhp over the standard cat with free flow cat back system,took me exactly to 300 bhp
Sounds spot on increase there Ed would expect 20 Ish Hayward and Scott they rock

Think the MOT tester did not like Andrew... hee hee.... I can understand that

Andrews pipes are very fancy.... cant recall the maker... cost the previous owner lots...

I did think about 100 cell... but dont mind spannering the old centre one back on each year...

Bob Rawle's figures seem spot on to me... very trustworthy is Bob...weight saving also a big bonus over stock items... the headers alone weighed more than the whole of the new up pipe and tubes combined

Just recalled.... Andrews exhaust is made by MILTEK and is a full 3'' Type 20 jobby
Got my wagon down to 1205 kg So will be interesting with 300 Bhp and lots of torque... Just hope I make the 300 Club Ed

Last edited by nobby248; 28 Sep 2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 04:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

you'll be in "The Club"...trust me

must admit,Heyward Scott do cost a bit of cash,but if your going to do it,do it once and do it right

centre cat replacement is the cheats way most owners bin the entire system and end up stumped,i actually rent my old CAT to the Garage,£30 a time,gotta make some money some how
Old 28 Sep 2009, 06:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
you'll be in "The Club"...trust me

must admit,Heyward Scott do cost a bit of cash,but if your going to do it,do it once and do it right

centre cat replacement is the cheats way most owners bin the entire system and end up stumped,i actually rent my old CAT to the Garage,£30 a time,gotta make some money some how

Brilliant!
Old 29 Sep 2009, 07:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

wow what have I started ? However I have decided to go for a standard centre section cat just for the MOT day.
Great read though.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 02:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Just pop an original centre cat back on for mot... it will fly through NO probs

Been in to the shop today, standard cat section won't fit on my exhaust. can't see a make on it but I've got a stainless 3inch decat system. Only option I've got now is to buy a sports cat for the MOT day. Like pi55ing money up the wall but gotta do it.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 08:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post
If thats true your telling me you get 50 bhp from a decat ?
Sorry fella but that mans having a pull of ur pud, I got 33 bhp from a sports cat downpipe on my bugeye, so if I fitted a decat id get another 20bhp lol
every car is different. 33 bhp from just a sports down pipe is very impressive.

and i think Nobby is talking about post remap..... not just difference between pipes alone.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 09:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Which is why I'm not keeping the damn thing on. It's going to be an expensive ornament in my garage.