Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Classic Sports Cat Opinion
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2009, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby
 
Matt-WRX-Import's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: That bit in the middle
Posts: 3,577
Classic Sports Cat Opinion

Hi all,

Looking for a cheap cat to get me through the MOT, any comments on this please ?

SUBARU IMPREZA TURBO EXHAUST SPORTS CAT FRONT PIPE on eBay (end time 04-Oct-09 08:39:53 BST)
__________________
Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2009, 09:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby
 
nobby248's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cardiff Wales UK.
Posts: 2,744
Send a message via AIM to nobby248
Re: Classic Sports Cat Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-WRX-Import View Post
Hi all,

Looking for a cheap cat to get me through the MOT, any comments on this please ?

SUBARU IMPREZA TURBO EXHAUST SPORTS CAT FRONT PIPE on eBay (end time 04-Oct-09 08:39:53 BST)

Just pop an original centre cat back on for mot... it will fly through NO probs

If you go for sport cat... then wave good bye to 20 Hp
__________________
Poor but happy!

Last edited by nobby248; 28 Sep 2009 at 08:04 AM. Reason: type o
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2009, 07:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby
 
bugeye_bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK-Earth - Search google maps for "The Stig"
Posts: 4,567
Re: Classic Sports Cat Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby248 View Post
Just pop an original centre cat back on for mot... it will fly through NO porbs

If you go for sport cat... then wave good bye to 20 Hp
Thats not true fella, you only lose a few bhp between a Sports cat and Decat also looking at that Downpipe you wont be able to pop the 2nd cat back in as that shape pipe goes to the centre section,
so if you do go down that route make sure its the short style downpipe.
hth
Bob
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2009, 08:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby
 
nobby248's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cardiff Wales UK.
Posts: 2,744
Send a message via AIM to nobby248
Re: Classic Sports Cat Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post
Thats not true fella, you only lose a few bhp between a Sports cat and Decat also looking at that Downpipe you wont be able to pop the 2nd cat back in as that shape pipe goes to the centre section,
so if you do go down that route make sure its the short style downpipe.
hth
Bob
Added weight of sport cat will also be a disadvantage... centre pipe comes straight off again after MOT

My engine tuner assures me that up to 20 Hp can be lost by fitting a sport cat down pipe...and I trust his word.... also they can be hit and miss with the MOT's they need to be very, very hot to pass the emmisions test (ask my bro BRUMBRUM for his experience) with 100 cell type...and have been known to be failed... 200 cell type are even heavier and more power robbing than 100 cell

Weight is the performance killer... why add more weight?

It only takes 10 mins to whip on the stock centre cat and the same to re-fit the centre de-cat... and it will fly MOT... no brainer

IMHO
__________________
Poor but happy!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2009, 08:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
 
The Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bay of Tor...
Posts: 6,567
Re: Classic Sports Cat Opinion

got a 100cpi unit on mine,passes every time,been on the car 5 years now!!
__________________
Mapped by Enginetuner(Plymouth)..
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2009, 08:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby
 
nobby248's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cardiff Wales UK.
Posts: 2,744
Send a message via AIM to nobby248
Re: Classic Sports Cat Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pilot View Post
got a 100cpi unit on mine,passes every time,been on the car 5 years now!!
Hi matey... That's because your MOT man is a relative

Brum failed first attempts... hee hee 100 cell... but a bit of warming up sorted it
__________________
Poor but happy!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2009, 08:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby
 
bugeye_bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK-Earth - Search google maps for "The Stig"
Posts: 4,567
Re: Classic Sports Cat Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby248 View Post
Added weight of sport cat will also be a disadvantage... centre pipe comes straight off again after MOT

My engine tuner assures me that up to 20 Hp can be lost by fitting a sport cat down pipe...and I trust his word.... also they can be hit and miss with the MOT's they need to be very, very hot to pass the emmisions test (ask my bro BRUMBRUM for his experience) with 100 cell type...and have been known to be failed... 200 cell type are even heavier and more power robbing than 100 cell

Weight is the performance killer... why add more weight?

It only takes 10 mins to whip on the stock centre cat and the same to re-fit the centre de-cat... and it will fly MOT... no brainer

IMHO
If thats true your telling me you get 50 bhp from a decat ?
Sorry fella but that mans having a pull of ur pud, I got 33 bhp from a sports cat downpipe on my bugeye, so if I fitted a decat id get another 20bhp lol
Its been tested in the mags I dont just quote pub figures fella, If I thought id gain another 20 bhp Id have gone down that route myself,
They always tell you to wrap a sports cat to get round the heat issues for mots,
If you have a pre 1995 I wholely agree with decats as its no issue but after that why have the problem every 12 months you own the car for 4 or 5 bhp ?
One thing you havent thought of is back pressure, we all want a free flowing exhaust but we do need some back pressure(saves those turbo seals for one), again its been noted that a sports cat helps retain a little back pressure whilst allowing better flow,
The big differeance is actually the flow and size of the system and the type of openeing on the said downpipe,
Ive seen decat pipes that arent bell mouth type, well I see no gain of even fitting one of these to a car, the main gain over a subaru downpipe is the open bell mouth type which is where the earlier spooling and gains are made as is always said imho but its based on testing lol, not hear say/pub talk or what my mate says,
Ive tested various downpipes and exhausts on the 3 scoobies ive owned and never rush into spending money as I hate wasting it lol
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2009, 08:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
 
The Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bay of Tor...
Posts: 6,567
Re: Classic Sports Cat Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby248 View Post
Hi matey... That's because your MOT man is a relative

Brum failed first attempts... hee hee 100 cell... but a bit of warming up sorted it
before my mate was VOSA trained,it used to go to the garage i used to work at as a young 'un,even with a tester that didn't know the car or me,it still flew through


spose the cat depends on the manacturer,plenty of cheap versions out there that are said to be "branded",only proper one to go for is the Heyward Scott 100CPI unit,when i bolted mine on,gained 20ish bhp over the standard cat with free flow cat back system,took me exactly to 300 bhp
__________________
Mapped by Enginetuner(Plymouth)..
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2009, 01:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby
 
nobby248's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cardiff Wales UK.
Posts: 2,744
Send a message via AIM to nobby248
Re: Classic Sports Cat Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pilot View Post
before my mate was VOSA trained,it used to go to the garage i used to work at as a young 'un,even with a tester that didn't know the car or me,it still flew through


spose the cat depends on the manacturer,plenty of cheap versions out there that are said to be "branded",only proper one to go for is the Heyward Scott 100CPI unit,when i bolted mine on,gained 20ish bhp over the standard cat with free flow cat back system,took me exactly to 300 bhp
Sounds spot on increase there Ed would expect 20 Ish Hayward and Scott they rock

Think the MOT tester did not like Andrew... hee hee.... I can understand that

Andrews pipes are very fancy.... cant recall the maker... cost the previous owner lots...

I did think about 100 cell... but dont mind spannering the old centre one back on each year...

Bob Rawle's figures seem spot on to me... very trustworthy is Bob...weight saving also a big bonus over stock items... the headers alone weighed more than the whole of the new up pipe and tubes combined


Just recalled.... Andrews exhaust is made by MILTEK and is a full 3'' Type 20 jobby
Got my wagon down to 1205 kg So will be interesting with 300 Bhp and lots of torque... Just hope I make the 300 Club Ed
__________________
Poor but happy!

Last edited by nobby248; 28 Sep 2009 at 02:09 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2009, 04:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
 
The Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bay of Tor...
Posts: 6,567
Re: Classic Sports Cat Opinion

you'll be in "The Club"...trust me


must admit,Heyward Scott do cost a bit of cash,but if your going to do it,do it once and do it right


centre cat replacement is the cheats way most owners bin the entire system and end up stumped,i actually rent my old CAT to the Garage,£30 a time,gotta make some money some how
__________________
Mapped by Enginetuner(Plymouth)..
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2009, 06:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby
 
nobby248's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cardiff Wales UK.
Posts: 2,744
Send a message via AIM to nobby248
Re: Classic Sports Cat Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pilot View Post
you'll be in "The Club"...trust me


must admit,Heyward Scott do cost a bit of cash,but if your going to do it,do it once and do it right


centre cat replacement is the cheats way most owners bin the entire system and end up stumped,i actually rent my old CAT to the Garage,£30 a time,gotta make some money some how


Brilliant!
__________________
Poor but happy!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2009, 07:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby
 
Matt-WRX-Import's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: That bit in the middle
Posts: 3,577
Re: Classic Sports Cat Opinion

wow what have I started ? However I have decided to go for a standard centre section cat just for the MOT day.
Great read though.
__________________
Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2009, 02:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby
 
Matt-WRX-Import's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: That bit in the middle
Posts: 3,577
Re: Classic Sports Cat Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby248 View Post
Just pop an original centre cat back on for mot... it will fly through NO probs

If you go for sport cat... then wave good bye to 20 Hp
Been in to the shop today, standard cat section won't fit on my exhaust. can't see a make on it but I've got a stainless 3inch decat system. Only option I've got now is to buy a sports cat for the MOT day. Like pi55ing money up the wall but gotta do it.
__________________
Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2009, 08:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby
 
brumbrum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 1,975
Re: Classic Sports Cat Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post
If thats true your telling me you get 50 bhp from a decat ?
Sorry fella but that mans having a pull of ur pud, I got 33 bhp from a sports cat downpipe on my bugeye, so if I fitted a decat id get another 20bhp lol
every car is different. 33 bhp from just a sports down pipe is very impressive.

and i think Nobby is talking about post remap..... not just difference between pipes alone.
__________________
Interested in everything
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2009, 09:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby
 
Matt-WRX-Import's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: That bit in the middle
Posts: 3,577
Re: Classic Sports Cat Opinion

Which is why I'm not keeping the damn thing on. It's going to be an expensive ornament in my garage.
__________________
Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to read ECU codes Classic Impreza stiimpreza1984 Electrical (Including ICE) 12 09 Jun 2009 02:16 AM
MML Sports Ltd created News_Bot Rally News 0 05 Feb 2009 04:40 PM
Tuning guide Tidgy Modifications - Tips and Tricks 0 19 Jun 2008 08:59 AM
OUTSTANDING NEW ‘BOXER’ ENGINE FOR ’06 LEGACY RANGE skylight General Chat - Anything about Anything 3 03 Aug 2005 10:15 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:57 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.