Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Upgrade of ARB's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Sep 2009, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Upgrade of ARB's

Hi guys going to be spending some money in next few weeks on the RA was thinking of upgading to powerflex bushes on the anti roll bars and upgrade drop links all round thinking it might help less roll on the bends your opinions be great????? you think it will wreck the handling of it????? Cheers Darren
Old 19 Sep 2009, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Re: Upgrade of ARB's

a rear anti roll bar would be my first and foremost option. You will feel the difference. Some people say to do just the rear as this will cancel some understeer. But front and Rear ARBs will obviously make the car stiffer with less roll. As for drop links, i'm sure it will help stop some flex, but it is not something you would notice if you fitted them. i would be tempted to spend money on strut braces instead of droplinks.

ARB's , you will probably want 24mm rear and 22mm front. Get adjustable ones if you can so you have the option of making them a little more or less taught.

ARBs are a good cheap and noticeable mod!! and it not ruin the handling but make the car tighter

Last edited by brumbrum; 19 Sep 2009 at 06:25 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2009, 11:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumbrum View Post
a rear anti roll bar would be my first and foremost option. You will feel the difference. Some people say to do just the rear as this will cancel some understeer. But front and Rear ARBs will obviously make the car stiffer with less roll. As for drop links, i'm sure it will help stop some flex, but it is not something you would notice if you fitted them. i would be tempted to spend money on strut braces instead of droplinks.

ARB's , you will probably want 24mm rear and 22mm front. Get adjustable ones if you can so you have the option of making them a little more or less taught.

ARBs are a good cheap and noticeable mod!! and it not ruin the handling but make the car tighter
Cheers for the info what kind of bushes you think are best and droplinks
Old 20 Sep 2009, 01:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Scoobyparts Ltd Whiteline what you think of the Whiteline stuff?
Old 20 Sep 2009, 02:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Whiteline stuff enjoys a very high reputation amongst Impreza owners Darren, think they would be a great choice going off what I have read, and seem to be the brand of choice for RA owners in the UK.
Old 20 Sep 2009, 08:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd

change the droplink on a classic is noticeable, the standard ones are plastic and fex alot.

rear arb and droplinks are the 1st thing to do. give pwerstation and ring about the whiteline kit.
Old 20 Sep 2009, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

I have whiteline front n rear ARB's, whiteline Strut braces and whiteline anti lift /caster kit on mine. the car is tight n taaught and flat on cornering, but i have AST coilovers as well ...(show off!)

Don't the whiteline ARB's come with bushes?
Old 21 Sep 2009, 01:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
Whiteline stuff enjoys a very high reputation amongst Impreza owners Darren, think they would be a great choice going off what I have read, and seem to be the brand of choice for RA owners in the UK.
Ah great
Old 21 Sep 2009, 01:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
the car is tight n taaught and flat on cornering, but i have AST coilovers as well ...(show off!)
Cheers guys Whiteline it is then
Old 21 Sep 2009, 12:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd

Quote:
I have whiteline front n rear ARB's, whiteline Strut braces and whiteline anti lift /caster kit on mine. the car is tight n taaught and flat on cornering, but i have AST coilovers as well ...(show off!)

Don't the whiteline ARB's come with bushes?
I can confirm that this setup of AST / Whiteline is very very good.

Am I a show off aswell?
Old 21 Sep 2009, 05:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd View Post
I can confirm that this setup of AST / Whiteline is very very good.

Am I a show off aswell?
Thanks JD
Old 23 Sep 2009, 02:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

A uprated rear arb is a must imho, coilovers are ok if u have nice smooth roads(im in the show off bracket here) but if your roads arent your a lot better off with a good set of shocks and springs, you need to be a bit softer on bumpy stuff or you will actually be slower and it wont do your tyres any good,(even more so if your on 18/19s)
I only went down the coilovers route as i do track days, if I didnt I would still be on shocks and springs,
Back to arb`s, again if your roads arent great a adj 22mm bar will be spot on, a 24mm is ok if ur roads are smooth and U are too,
BUSHES, Yes I know I go on about these a bit but they change a car like you wouldnt believe,
The front of a impreza really really benefits from poly bushes, Im sorry but the guys wasting their money on the ALK`s may as well put the cash into poly bushes for the front arms for the 0.000005 degrees caster you actually gain(im taking the micky there a little) the big gain on a alk is that poly bush on the rear of the front arm, it stops it moving under load as much,
The rear trailing arms love Poly bushes too stops that squirm feeling you get.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 10:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post
A uprated rear arb is a must imho, coilovers are ok if u have nice smooth roads(im in the show off bracket here) but if your roads arent your a lot better off with a good set of shocks and springs, you need to be a bit softer on bumpy stuff or you will actually be slower and it wont do your tyres any good,(even more so if your on 18/19s)
I only went down the coilovers route as i do track days, if I didnt I would still be on shocks and springs,
Back to arb`s, again if your roads arent great a adj 22mm bar will be spot on, a 24mm is ok if ur roads are smooth and U are too,
BUSHES, Yes I know I go on about these a bit but they change a car like you wouldnt believe,
The front of a impreza really really benefits from poly bushes, Im sorry but the guys wasting their money on the ALK`s may as well put the cash into poly bushes for the front arms for the 0.000005 degrees caster you actually gain(im taking the micky there a little) the big gain on a alk is that poly bush on the rear of the front arm, it stops it moving under load as much,
The rear trailing arms love Poly bushes too stops that squirm feeling you get.
Great info ya roads crap here pay 615 a year for tax and they v bad looking forward to upgrading now