Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Upgrade of ARB's
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Sep 2009, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
 
stiimpreza1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 7,475
Upgrade of ARB's

Hi guys going to be spending some money in next few weeks on the RA was thinking of upgading to powerflex bushes on the anti roll bars and upgrade drop links all round thinking it might help less roll on the bends your opinions be great????? you think it will wreck the handling of it????? Cheers Darren
__________________
SEE NO EVO HEAR NO EVO!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2009, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby
 
brumbrum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 1,975
Re: Upgrade of ARB's

a rear anti roll bar would be my first and foremost option. You will feel the difference. Some people say to do just the rear as this will cancel some understeer. But front and Rear ARBs will obviously make the car stiffer with less roll. As for drop links, i'm sure it will help stop some flex, but it is not something you would notice if you fitted them. i would be tempted to spend money on strut braces instead of droplinks.

ARB's , you will probably want 24mm rear and 22mm front. Get adjustable ones if you can so you have the option of making them a little more or less taught.

ARBs are a good cheap and noticeable mod!! and it not ruin the handling but make the car tighter
__________________
Interested in everything

Last edited by brumbrum; 19 Sep 2009 at 06:25 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2009, 11:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
 
stiimpreza1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 7,475
Re: Upgrade of ARB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumbrum View Post
a rear anti roll bar would be my first and foremost option. You will feel the difference. Some people say to do just the rear as this will cancel some understeer. But front and Rear ARBs will obviously make the car stiffer with less roll. As for drop links, i'm sure it will help stop some flex, but it is not something you would notice if you fitted them. i would be tempted to spend money on strut braces instead of droplinks.

ARB's , you will probably want 24mm rear and 22mm front. Get adjustable ones if you can so you have the option of making them a little more or less taught.

ARBs are a good cheap and noticeable mod!! and it not ruin the handling but make the car tighter
Cheers for the info what kind of bushes you think are best and droplinks
__________________
SEE NO EVO HEAR NO EVO!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2009, 01:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
 
stiimpreza1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 7,475
Re: Upgrade of ARB's

Scoobyparts Ltd Whiteline what you think of the Whiteline stuff?
__________________
SEE NO EVO HEAR NO EVO!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2009, 02:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby
 
rikimaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sussex
Posts: 3,335
Re: Upgrade of ARB's

Whiteline stuff enjoys a very high reputation amongst Impreza owners Darren, think they would be a great choice going off what I have read, and seem to be the brand of choice for RA owners in the UK.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2009, 08:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud
 
jd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: here
Posts: 6,414
Send a message via MSN to jd
Re: Upgrade of ARB's

change the droplink on a classic is noticeable, the standard ones are plastic and fex alot.

rear arb and droplinks are the 1st thing to do. give pwerstation and ring about the whiteline kit.
__________________
blah blah blah
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2009, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby
 
brumbrum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 1,975
Re: Upgrade of ARB's

I have whiteline front n rear ARB's, whiteline Strut braces and whiteline anti lift /caster kit on mine. the car is tight n taaught and flat on cornering, but i have AST coilovers as well ...(show off!)

Don't the whiteline ARB's come with bushes?
__________________
Interested in everything
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2009, 01:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
 
stiimpreza1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 7,475
Re: Upgrade of ARB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
Whiteline stuff enjoys a very high reputation amongst Impreza owners Darren, think they would be a great choice going off what I have read, and seem to be the brand of choice for RA owners in the UK.
Ah great
__________________
SEE NO EVO HEAR NO EVO!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2009, 01:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
 
stiimpreza1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 7,475
Re: Upgrade of ARB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumbrum View Post
the car is tight n taaught and flat on cornering, but i have AST coilovers as well ...(show off!)
Cheers guys Whiteline it is then
__________________
SEE NO EVO HEAR NO EVO!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2009, 12:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud
 
jd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: here
Posts: 6,414
Send a message via MSN to jd
Re: Upgrade of ARB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumbrum View Post
I have whiteline front n rear ARB's, whiteline Strut braces and whiteline anti lift /caster kit on mine. the car is tight n taaught and flat on cornering, but i have AST coilovers as well ...(show off!)

Don't the whiteline ARB's come with bushes?
I can confirm that this setup of AST / Whiteline is very very good.


Am I a show off aswell?
__________________
blah blah blah
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2009, 05:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
 
stiimpreza1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 7,475
Re: Upgrade of ARB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd View Post
I can confirm that this setup of AST / Whiteline is very very good.


Am I a show off aswell?
Thanks JD
__________________
SEE NO EVO HEAR NO EVO!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2009, 02:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby
 
bugeye_bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK-Earth - Search google maps for "The Stig"
Posts: 4,567
Re: Upgrade of ARB's

A uprated rear arb is a must imho, coilovers are ok if u have nice smooth roads(im in the show off bracket here) but if your roads arent your a lot better off with a good set of shocks and springs, you need to be a bit softer on bumpy stuff or you will actually be slower and it wont do your tyres any good,(even more so if your on 18/19s)
I only went down the coilovers route as i do track days, if I didnt I would still be on shocks and springs,
Back to arb`s, again if your roads arent great a adj 22mm bar will be spot on, a 24mm is ok if ur roads are smooth and U are too,
BUSHES, Yes I know I go on about these a bit but they change a car like you wouldnt believe,
The front of a impreza really really benefits from poly bushes, Im sorry but the guys wasting their money on the ALK`s may as well put the cash into poly bushes for the front arms for the 0.000005 degrees caster you actually gain(im taking the micky there a little) the big gain on a alk is that poly bush on the rear of the front arm, it stops it moving under load as much,
The rear trailing arms love Poly bushes too stops that squirm feeling you get.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2009, 10:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
 
stiimpreza1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 7,475
Re: Upgrade of ARB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post
A uprated rear arb is a must imho, coilovers are ok if u have nice smooth roads(im in the show off bracket here) but if your roads arent your a lot better off with a good set of shocks and springs, you need to be a bit softer on bumpy stuff or you will actually be slower and it wont do your tyres any good,(even more so if your on 18/19s)
I only went down the coilovers route as i do track days, if I didnt I would still be on shocks and springs,
Back to arb`s, again if your roads arent great a adj 22mm bar will be spot on, a 24mm is ok if ur roads are smooth and U are too,
BUSHES, Yes I know I go on about these a bit but they change a car like you wouldnt believe,
The front of a impreza really really benefits from poly bushes, Im sorry but the guys wasting their money on the ALK`s may as well put the cash into poly bushes for the front arms for the 0.000005 degrees caster you actually gain(im taking the micky there a little) the big gain on a alk is that poly bush on the rear of the front arm, it stops it moving under load as much,
The rear trailing arms love Poly bushes too stops that squirm feeling you get.
Great info ya roads crap here pay 615 a year for tax and they v bad looking forward to upgrading now
__________________
SEE NO EVO HEAR NO EVO!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TD05 Upgrade uklyss Engine Bay 8 19 Jun 2009 10:13 PM
Seat safety upgrade brought in for Japan. News_Bot Rally News 0 30 Oct 2008 06:20 PM
McLaren to get 'one more' upgrade for finale. News_Bot Formula News 0 01 Oct 2008 08:20 AM
Power Engineering Ecutek 2 upgrade johnboy Subaru Impreza Discussions 1 20 Apr 2005 02:42 PM
Brake upgrade scooblou Technical General 10 26 Feb 2005 10:49 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:40 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.