Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Bugeye Rear Suspension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Sep 2009, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Bugeye Rear Suspension

Hi,

just bought a MY01 Bugeye GX Wagon to which a PO has fitted a set of what appears to be Tein lowering springs (green ones?). fairly recently as well judging by how clean the springs are - car has done 77000 miles.

the problem I have is that the back end will bounce up and down several times when travelling over bumps in the road - for instance if I go over a speed hump the front will return straight away but the rear bounces about 3 times before settling.

I've checked the struts and there doesn't seem to be any signs of damage or leaking from the inserts, the above symptoms would be what I would expect from a worn out shock but the car doesn't bounce when pushed down if the car is stationary?

the rear also seems to sit a bit lower than the front does.

looking at a parts list there are different struts for a wagon as for a saloon, are the Tein's only specified for use on saloons?

are the struts on a GX softer than the turbo versions and possibly not up to the job? if so can I just swap the struts for a set from a WRX (do blobeye struts fit a bugeye?) I'm on a budget with this car so don't really want to stretch to a full coilover setup.

alternatively can I get beefier replacement inserts for my struts?

thanks in advance for advice and apologies for the mass of questions!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2009, 05:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: Bugeye Rear Suspension

The damper setting is proberbly set to soft and the rebound only ever fitted coilovers twice to a car and a long while back so not up to date to much about them but some lads on here have more experience they will tell you and Ed should give you more info on it to

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 06 Sep 2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06 Sep 2009, 06:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

TEIN U.K. | Installation Manual | SUBARU Pick out the car you have and click at the installation manual top right of the page on the ones you have hope it helps
Old 06 Sep 2009, 06:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanks for the link - will give have a read later and maybe give the technical centre a call.
Old 06 Sep 2009, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

No Problem
Old 07 Sep 2009, 08:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Pretty sure the GX dampers would be softer than the Turbo ones. With the harder TEIN springs the car will tend to bounce.
Old 07 Sep 2009, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

guessed that was probably the case - as the GX seems to be more of a 'comfort' model than the Turbos!

Are the struts directly interchangable with the sports versions?, alternatively I might enquire about getting my inserts rebuilt to suit.