Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

some problems need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Aug 2009, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

some problems need help

hi guys i need some help and advice i bought a subaru 97 wrx this year and the big end went a few months ago now, its now sorted with new crank and mahle pistons and sti rods etc anyway the other day i thought i change the spark plugs and new HT leads, so i got to the first plug and had the wrong tool think it took me 3 hrs to remove 1 plug, gave up and re fitted it after that it run a bit rough but still ok, been out today to try again and fitted new plugs and new HT leads and it was running very rough back firing quite alot and sounded crap i got a spark from one of the coil pack holes and smoke from the turbo area after going for another drive i now have very little boost if none at all and dump valve is very quite not like before so i got back home and changed the plugs and HT leads back to original and it now runs alot better but still no boost or very little allso i have a tapping knoise coming from the passanger side ontop on the engine but under the inlet sounds like tappets but deeper sound any help would be great
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2009, 12:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: some problems need help

Oh dear.

First thought would be that you need to gap the new plugs correctly. what plugs did you get? Also, are you able to rev the car beyond 4000 rpm? I'm just wondering wether your ECU has gone into safe mode as a result of the issue with the new plugs.
Gap the plugs to .06 mm and make sure they are all gapped the same before you put them in. If that doesn't work and it's still running like shite the coil packs would be my next suspect, though wold be a bit of a coincidence for that to go at this point.
Old 29 Aug 2009, 01:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
Oh dear.

First thought would be that you need to gap the new plugs correctly. what plugs did you get? Also, are you able to rev the car beyond 4000 rpm? I'm just wondering wether your ECU has gone into safe mode as a result of the issue with the new plugs.
Gap the plugs to .06 mm and make sure they are all gapped the same before you put them in. If that doesn't work and it's still running like shite the coil packs would be my next suspect, though wold be a bit of a coincidence for that to go at this point.
thanks for reply plugs are bosch super plus but now it has the original denso ones in. i am able to go above 4000 just not as quick getting there as before now i have the original leads back on it runs ok just no boost and the tapping noise has been there for a while
Old 29 Aug 2009, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

also i read the fault codes and its code 22 and 23 knock sensor and maf
Old 30 Aug 2009, 04:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

any more help with this one am gonna get the right plugs and leads tuesday and hopefully will improve
Old 30 Aug 2009, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248

Maf is naff

Black smoke usually indicates unburnt fuel.... and that would also point toward maf

Try an ecu re-set first... then if no good take it to a good subaru garage!

If it was me... I would pour petrol on the car and park it in Toxteth...

Claim on insurance and that will cure the problem

Last edited by nobby248; 30 Aug 2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 05:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

quick update i now have the ngk plugs the ones that subaru use and new ht leads its now runs better then ever but am not getting the turbo boost still dont get me wrong its there but it feels as if the car is holding back the only fault code is now 22 which i beleave is knock sensor does this mean its ****ed or that its working but i have a knock problem???
Old 31 Aug 2009, 08:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5lider View Post
quick update i now have the ngk plugs the ones that subaru use and new ht leads its now runs better then ever but am not getting the turbo boost still dont get me wrong its there but it feels as if the car is holding back the only fault code is now 22 which i beleave is knock sensor does this mean its ****ed or that its working but i have a knock problem???
Knock sensor is faulty and needs replacing

Glad putting the recomended plugs back has partialy sorted the problem

My Knock sensor went on my old 04 Wrx... engine was well down on power until replaced
Old 31 Aug 2009, 08:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby248 View Post
Knock sensor is faulty and needs replacing

Glad putting the recomended plugs back has partialy sorted the problem

My Knock sensor went on my old 04 Wrx... engine was well down on power until replaced
thanks yea am chuffed its almost sorted sounds alot better now any idea how much it will cost for a sensor on a 97 wrx 2.0
Old 31 Aug 2009, 08:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5lider View Post
thanks yea am chuffed its almost sorted sounds alot better now any idea how much it will cost for a sensor on a 97 wrx 2.0

LINK

subaru knock sensor - Google Product Search