Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

advice required..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Aug 2009, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Red face advice required..

hi guys recently purchased my first impreza turbo uk model on a p plate i bought knowing there was something up with maf sensor as the seller told me of this, driving it home some 85 miles half way home it starts shuddering and wanting to cut out and this is at 70 mph and when stopping at roundabout or lights its wanting to cut out with revs dropping and rising but then 15min later it runs fine it seems to happen worsed when been driving for half hour plus when engine is super hot ive recently serviced her giving her new plugs, oil filter and full new change of oil (castrol magnatec), gonna give maf sensor a good blast with electrical cleaner and see if that sorts that out, i also checked the manual diagnostics method and got 3 fault codes 23,24 and 53 anyone any clue if thats maf sensor or has the guy told me a pack of lies??

any help is greatly appreciated

paul.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2009, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: advice required..

Hi Mate,

Fault 23 is the MAF, and all your symptoms point towards MAF failure so seems he is telling the truth on that.. Would be surprised if cleaning it helps any but worth a try, though i suspect you'll need to replace the MAF.
Old 04 Aug 2009, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanks for the reply bud yeh i just checked faults on web 23 is deffo maf sensor or circuit. 24 is idle air control solenoid or circuit and 53 is fuel pump or circuit does this mean im going to have to replace all these parts or could the maf sensor be causing these other faults??

thanks for your time getting back to me its well appreciated.

paul
Old 04 Aug 2009, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

just checked another site and fuel pump was fault code 88 so now im lost and fault code 53 had like 8 differebt faults it could be.. hopefully i will replace the maf and everythng will be cool ive notice my subaru has 2 antennas one above drivers door on a pillar and one above rear window which has been unscrewed and left off, one of the fault codes 53 was antenna problem could this be anything to do with that?

should i go ahead and replace maf and see how it goes??

thanks,
Old 05 Aug 2009, 02:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

anyone any ideas where i can get a purple label maf sensor from.
Old 06 Aug 2009, 10:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97pukturbo View Post
just checked another site and fuel pump was fault code 88 so now im lost and fault code 53 had like 8 differebt faults it could be.. hopefully i will replace the maf and everythng will be cool ive notice my subaru has 2 antennas one above drivers door on a pillar and one above rear window which has been unscrewed and left off, one of the fault codes 53 was antenna problem could this be anything to do with that?

should i go ahead and replace maf and see how it goes??

thanks,
As Wayne said I would replace the MAF sensor harly douth cleaning it might help also last mechanic at the car could possibly just disconnecting the sensors without taking negative lead off battery first then this logs a dtc (dianostic trouble code) or tdc trouble dianostic code in the memory and stores it till you clear it and it clears it by resetting ECU but with the problem you have Id replace Maf sensor reset ECU then and jobs a good un
Old 10 Aug 2009, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

cheers m8 ive now replaced maf sensor and cars running sweet as a nut just to reset the ecu and that should be me done