Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

ECU LOST SETTINGS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Aug 2009, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

ECU LOST SETTINGS

Can anyone help please, my 2001WRX was 261 bhp, i fitted a dump valve and instantly noticed a drop in power, took it to scoobie world and had the ecu reset, put it on the rolling road, came out at 239 bhp....is it possable for the ECU to revert back to standard settings.

The car is standard except from, exhaust middle and end can, k&n filter and did have ECU upgrade.

HELP PLEASE...........
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2009, 10:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: ECU LOST SETTINGS

You have an aftermarket ECU it seems from what you say, so I'm assuming a re-map went along with that. Not an expert. but I would imagine that like your iPod, mobile and even PC once you initiate a reset it will revert to default a or factory setting. If that is the case it'll need to be mapped again I guess. I could be completely wrong but that would be my best guess as that is what happens with the standard ECU. Best advice would be to check with a mapper familiar with your ECU.
Old 03 Aug 2009, 07:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

ECU reset won't lose the map

what dump valve was it??....if it was a Bailey one,BIN it,the Diaphrams in them are weak and colapse,hence resulting in a lose of power,if you have the O/E dump valve,stick it back on and try again..

ECU upgrade,meaning what??...its been mapped,the original ECU replaced??
Old 03 Aug 2009, 08:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks so much for all your help............

Dump Valve is a Turbosmart Supersonic. I dont know if the ECU is the origional one or an after market one, was done when i bought the car.

When i realised the car had lost power, i replaced the origional with no change - still down on power.....

This is a nightmare, cant afford to remap the thing every time i fit something....
Old 03 Aug 2009, 08:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

best way to check ECU originality is to look yourself,its located under the kick plate in the passenger footwell under the carpet,4 bolts to remove place and it'll be there staring at you

iirc the UK WRX runs the same power as a UK turbo 218bhp,the 240 bhp jobbies normally mean a PPP(prodrive performance pack) had/has been fitted,mine was PPP'd,only reason i found that out,was a standard UK on rollers hit 218,mine hit 240 standard,hence i was able to hammer quite a few other tools on the road

just thinking it, if down on power and not been picked up on whilst on rollers,i wonder if the MAF has gone or is covered in crap,try blasting it with Brake cleaner,i could well work,give it a try and get back to us