Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

front pipe problems?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jul 2004, 12:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Send a message via MSN to stevehulluk
front pipe problems?

just been ringing round to see how much to have the centre section & front pipe ( when i buy them anyway )fitted on my car, every place i rang are willing to change the centre section but not the front pipe ( there saying there a pain in the arse to fit the front ) is this true? one place i rang said they would quote me if i brought it in ( that means expensive, this neck of the woods ). has anybody else had this problem? if i changed just the centre section would it make a difference to the sound? not happy today with this news . hope everyone well?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2004, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

All is well Steven, most people (reading the board) only change the centre and back to get the sound they require. (sorry missed your msn earlier - is everything ok now?)

Old 30 Jul 2004, 02:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Steve - the down pipe is a royal PITA to do but not the end of the world. Unfortunately a lot of people don't like doing them cos of the possible problems that can occur - turbo stud bolts shearing being one of them I assisted Olly last weekend in a gearbox change (which went very well btw) on an Impreza and the d/pipe had to come off - its a not too difficult job aslong as you have the correct tools - Olly did thank goodness

Shame you live so far away mate cos i would offer to do this for you I'm sure between olly and myself we could get this fitted.

As for noise levels - well I originally ran with the prodrive centre decat (resonated pipe) and the Cat in the d/p and it was rather quiet . I then got the Down Pipe Decat done and whilst the noise level increased slightly the tone of the note went slightly deeper.....but it has to be said that the Non Resonated centre pipe made all the difference That gave the Zorst a real crackle, popping raspy sort of sound. However I cannot say what it would be like with the oem Catted D/Pipe and non resonated centre and BB ?? :roll: I would imagine it would be loudish but not have the lowish tone you get with a Decat D/pipe ??
Old 30 Jul 2004, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

gutted i live so far away from you guys, would have let you fit them. i've just ordered the decat centre (without silencer ) from scoobyworld £110 all in with delivery. so i will let you know if it sounds better ( hope so :? ) lol

thanks again lads most helpful as per usual
Old 30 Jul 2004, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

I've fitted quite a few d/p now and touch wood never had a problem.

It should'nt take much more than 11/2 hours to replace :wink:

Don't know if this helps
Old 30 Jul 2004, 11:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

I do have some photos taken of last weeks gearbox swap During this time the Down Pipe was removed Steve - I can post up the pics if you want them ??
Old 31 Jul 2004, 07:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

yes please karl, that would be great. should get the centre section delivered today or monday, will get that fitted & see how it sounds . then see if i want the downpipe fitting aswell :?
Old 31 Jul 2004, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

No worries Bud - let me know how you get on with the centre pipe fitted and we'll take it from there