Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Help and advice please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jun 2009, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Help and advice please

My scoobs been off the road now for a couple of months as the clutch went. Now after saving up i bought an exedy organic clutch, an fmic and a full SS decat exhaust. I`ve previously had a digital boost controller fitted (though that never seemed to do anything) and when i bought the car he said it had been remapped (i dont believe him tho)

Yesterday and today we`ve fitted everything inc a new timing belt, and on the first run out it seemed like a fair bit of white smoke was coming out of the exhaust (i put this down to oil in the exhaust sytem as it came from my old scooby) and it was boostin hi then lo, but then another couple of miles down the road the engine turned into a noisy sewing machine, sounds to me like the big end bearing (i`m no mechanic tho)

Why has this happened, and i`ve bought a new engine, how do i know its not going to go bang again? Do we think its cos i should have had it re-mapeed before i drove it, or just bad luck? Any help would be appreciated
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2009, 07:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: Help and advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste22pc View Post
My scoobs been off the road now for a couple of months as the clutch went. Now after saving up i bought an exedy organic clutch, an fmic and a full SS decat exhaust. I`ve previously had a digital boost controller fitted (though that never seemed to do anything) and when i bought the car he said it had been remapped (i dont believe him tho)

Yesterday and today we`ve fitted everything inc a new timing belt, and on the first run out it seemed like a fair bit of white smoke was coming out of the exhaust (i put this down to oil in the exhaust sytem as it came from my old scooby) and it was boostin hi then lo, but then another couple of miles down the road the engine turned into a noisy sewing machine, sounds to me like the big end bearing (i`m no mechanic tho)

Why has this happened, and i`ve bought a new engine, how do i know its not going to go bang again? Do we think its cos i should have had it re-mapeed before i drove it, or just bad luck? Any help would be appreciated
detcat,fmic,full system,did you reset the ECU before you drove it??if not you've probably scared the 5hit out of it..lol,always wise to reset after installing mods like that,the boost sureges are more than likely casued by the appearnce of the FMIC,which inturn has caused the engine to gain a "sewing machine sound",when you changed the belt,did you mark the positions of the belt and pulies,just thinking you've knockek the timing out a tad and damaged somet
Old 05 Jun 2009, 07:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I was always told -

" The bottom ends are like chocolate.... so after any engine modifications, from aftermarket air filter to exhaust you should always get a remap as soon as you can "

If this guy hasn't done that could that be the cause?
Old 05 Jun 2009, 08:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hey The Pilot, no we didn`t reset the ecu, how do i do that???? Am i just better off havin the new engine put in then takin it on a trailor for a re-map?? And yeah all the timing marks were lined up
Old 05 Jun 2009, 09:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Oh, and how can i tell if its already had a remap???? If it hasnt i`ll have to buy the board to go in the ecu before i can have it remapped wont i??
Old 05 Jun 2009, 09:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Hey The Pilot, no we didn`t reset the ecu, how do i do that???? Am i just better off havin the new engine put in then takin it on a trailor for a re-map?? And yeah all the timing marks were lined up
1st mistake bud,alway reset after any modding

check here:- Troublcodes.net Trouble Codes OBD & OBD2 Trouble Codes and Technical info & Tool Store. By BAT Auto Technical to see how to do this,will also show up fault codes,so may well coming up with why yours a started acting up
only if your current unit is shafted would i go for the replacement,atleast the belt was makred correctly..
Ed
Old 05 Jun 2009, 09:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Oh, and how can i tell if its already had a remap???? If it hasnt i`ll have to buy the board to go in the ecu before i can have it remapped wont i??
only way to tell if it has been mapped is by "power graphs" and recipts of work and time spent on the rollers..buy a board to put in the ecu??....never heard of that one before...lol

take it to a mapper,he'll plug in his laptop and will be able see if it has been mapped