Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

boost problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 May 2009, 09:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

boost problem

Hi guys im new to the site and new to subaru's I bought a version 2 sti on wednesday and it had not run for a year never been moved, anyway fired up first time with the battery pack and sounds really nice now knocks or bangs or rattles, it has 88567 km on the clock.
When i took it for a little run and i mean little i give it a little but it seemed to hesatate then push you in your seat but then hesatate again, any ideas what it could be or is it coz its been standing for so long and needs a long run out?

Thanks guys
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2009, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: boost problem

Hi mate and welcome.

Could be because it has been standing. My car can get miffed if it hasn't had a decent run for a while. Good run just seems to clear the cobwebs. First thing I would do if it has been standing so long tbh would be get an oil change (and filter) done asap and check air filter, fuel filter and plugs etc as it obviously hasn't been serviced in a while. Also have you put new petrol in the car? Petrol does go off if it is left standing too long. Also did you use the correct octane fuel for that car? Would definitely suggest taking it easy until you've done an engine oil change and checked the other stuff out.
Old 15 May 2009, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for the reply the car was serviced a 1000 miles before it went off the road but is due because of it standing, the tank was nearly empty and i put shell v power in it. The air filter is alittle dirty like hks (mushroom filter) and we are gonna check the plugs tommorrow hopefully something little. Gonna get a service done in the next month do you think that will be ok?
Old 15 May 2009, 10:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickymarwood View Post
Thanks for the reply the car was serviced a 1000 miles before it went off the road but is due because of it standing, the tank was nearly empty and i put shell v power in it. The air filter is alittle dirty like hks (mushroom filter) and we are gonna check the plugs tommorrow hopefully something little. Gonna get a service done in the next month do you think that will be ok?
It can probably wait for the service but I personally would suggest an oil and filter change now just to be on the safe side. Might be worth getting the filter changed too if it is visibly dirty, though if it's only slight will probably wait until the service.
Old 15 May 2009, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

ok thanks for the info i will get the oil and filter and get it done tommorrow what oil is the best for these cars ?
Old 15 May 2009, 10:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Would go for a fully synthetic oil whatever you get. 10W 40 should be fine. Personally use Motul 300V which is awesome but a wee bit pricey. Used to use Mobil 1 fully syntn in my old WRX with no issues though tbh and that was about half the price. Would use the oem STi filter if you can get hold of one.

Have a look at this link for a lot more info;

Oil advice and recommendations here

You can also post up a question regarding best oil for your car.
Old 17 May 2009, 10:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for the info prob go for the good stuff tbh! I got the misfire sorted out replaced the plugs they were black and cleaned the maf meter with brake cleaner coz it was filthy and it has worked a treat the car is running smooth and like a rocket. In for oil and filter chang next week.
Old 17 May 2009, 11:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Good stuff. Glad you got it sorted mate!
Old 18 May 2009, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

so am I first scooby and first problem but it was just something little lol hope i have a trouble free year with her