Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Catalunya 5MT gearbox problems when on track

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Apr 2009, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Catalunya 5MT gearbox problems when on track

Hi all !

Im new to the forum today,

I've been playing with impreza's for a few years now, have a 97 catalunya which is great. I've been through several stages of modification - purely functional mods for performance/track day use! I've spend lots of time replacing and upgrading pretty much every suspension steering/ braking component + engine. Power wise, just made the move to a 18G with power FC - which is topic for another thread...

anyway was running at castle combe yesterday with my nice new tein topmounts fitted! car was running great for the first two laps then on the third started to have trouble with gear selection mainly second to third, eventually coming out of quarry, in second gear flying past a lotus carlton, tried to go into third but was unable to select any gear, so just gently rolled to a stop on the straight before tower, it was as if the selector shaft/mechanism had siezed , stuck in neutral drive but with the gearstick in a forward position. eventually after being passed by all the cars I'd just overtaken - was towed back to the paddock ! waited about half an hour then manged to pull the gear stick back to the normal neutral position (with a lot of force) and all was ok. The car runs fine on the road - gearbox oil is fresh syntrax synthetic stuff.

Just wondering if anyone has had anything similiar? -

dont think its a clutch problem as its new, and even with the engine off, i could not select any gear! i'm thinking new gearbox!!?

any comments welcome, thanks

Last edited by jonno_tt; 26 Apr 2009 at 03:52 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Catalunya 5MT gearbox problems when on track

Sounds like the selector fork to me if you are stuck fast in gear. Box will need to come out to have a look but doesn't necessarily mean a new box.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
Sounds like the selector fork to me if you are stuck fast in gear. Box will need to come out to have a look but doesn't necessarily mean a new box.
Seconded that reply

How much power are you putting through that box?...

Quarry bend... such a brill corner

Could you let the forum know what the problem is when diagnosed please

Good luck

Nobby
Old 26 Apr 2009, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

OK thanks for that,

I will have to get it out and have a look! At the moment I'm back on the TD04 with standard ECU , boost controlled to 15 PSi and full de-cat , so not putting out loads! The 18G and power FC are sitting on the table ready to go on - just waiting for 550 injectors... Want to get it fully track worthy before I swap it all over!

I'll let you know how I get on with the gearbox