Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

rear suspension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Apr 2009, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Talking rear suspension

Hi Fellow Scooby Lovers,

I am the proud owner of a UK Impreza WRX on a 55 plate. The only downside to my other perfect motor is the rear suspension.

On the o/s/r once rested after braking the suspension then dips down as if something is not taking the strain.

This happened on the n/s/r but was repaired by subaru under warranty in November but they will not tell me what they did to rectify the problem.

However they would gladly do a check for me for £60 per hour. I thought that was nice of Subaru......lol.

Any ideas what it could be as I was hoping to fix the problem for less than 60 bucks

Last edited by Davy2Win; 23 Apr 2009 at 02:51 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2009, 03:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248
Re: rear suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy2Win View Post
Hi Fellow Scooby Lovers,

I am the proud owner of a UK Impreza WRX on a 55 plate. The only downside to my other perfect motor is the rear suspension.

On the o/s/r once rested after braking the suspension then dips down as if something is not taking the strain.

This happened on the n/s/r but was repaired by subaru under warranty in November but they will not tell me what they did to rectify the problem.

However they would gladly do a check for me for £60 per hour. I thought that was nice of Subaru......lol.

Any ideas what it could be as I was hoping to fix the problem for less than 60 bucks
What dealer? Name and shame them.... Have you spoken with the service manager?... Franchise owner etc, if they wont tell you... ring Subaru UK send them an e-mail and copy in the dealer... I have never heard of a dealer not informing a customer of what was fixed under warranty... very odd Main dealers are expensive, but always found them very helpful if a little bit up themselves

Suggest the fault may be related to anti roll bar bushes, drop links... mounts or even suspension bushes, mounts, springs etc .... but never known these items to fail on such a 'young' car... was the car kerbed badly, potholed or did it hit something?

When you say the car 'rested' do you mean sagged on one side? More info would be helpful and perhaps picture if possible?

Let us know the dealers name please....
Old 23 Apr 2009, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

iirc that year had suspension problems on the rear,should all be sorted under warranty,i belive it was something to do with the oil seals in the dampers,coming out of true,hence the bizare problems most variants have had,if i were you,i'd go back n tell em its a common fault n they need to rectifie it forthwith
Old 23 Apr 2009, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

My warranty has expired does this cause a problem? If I was to return and say the otherside, from which they repaired, has obtained the same fault are they obliged to repair as it is a common fault?

The car has never been kerbed I just think that its common hence both sides now failed in a matter of months. Cars only done 30000 miles and ive done 18000 of those this year.

You can hear a knocking noise when going at crawling speed also which leads me to believe its come kind of bush that is failing. Which annoys me as if that is the cause of the n/s/r going and that is the repair then both bushes should have been replaced i.e anti rll bar bushes,links etc

Last edited by Davy2Win; 23 Apr 2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 09:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248

Quote:
My warranty has expired does this cause a problem? If I was to return and say the otherside, from which they repaired, has obtained the same fault are they obliged to repair as it is a common fault?

The car has never been kerbed I just think that its common hence both sides now failed in a matter of months. Cars only done 30000 miles and ive done 18000 of those this year.

You can hear a knocking noise when going at crawling speed also which leads me to believe its come kind of bush that is failing. Which annoys me as if that is the cause of the n/s/r going and that is the repair then both bushes should have been replaced i.e anti rll bar bushes,links etc
Check with Subaru uk to see if your model was recalled for repairs... if yes then no charge.... worth contacting Subaru Uk with your eng/chassis number and they can advise... Good luck
Old 24 Apr 2009, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd

give up on the standard suspension and fit aftermarket. any replacement you get off subaru will fail in time, I gave up after my 2nd set.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

what after market suspension did you go for? How much and did you replace it yourself?
Old 24 Apr 2009, 02:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
what after market suspension did you go for? How much and did you replace it yourself?
if i remember correctly he got whiteline n k-sport,was with him when purchased,got from PowerStation

Old 28 Apr 2009, 06:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Great news folks

Just received an email from my local subaru garage having told them the problem had re-occured now on the otherside of my suspension.

They stated they replaced the n/s/r strut but at that time there was no problem with the o/s/r.

However they are happy for me to bring it in a diagnose the problem and hopefully get subaru to replace it as a goodwill gesture, failing that attempt to have the repair authorised by Subaru Customer Relations Department.

Now my question is has anyone else had a goodwill gesture by Subaru???? or been through Subaru Customer Relations Department???? and had a postive rsult
Old 29 Apr 2009, 06:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pilot View Post
if i remember correctly he got whiteline n k-sport,was with him when purchased,got from PowerStation

whiteline arb's etc, but AST coilovers.
Old 05 May 2009, 02:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

just back form my local garage. problem though, same guy instantly diagnosed the fault in November when the parts and labour would have been covered by my warranty, now as the warranty has lapsed he cant hear anything or feel the suspension dipping down. However they are going to ask subaru for a goodwill gesture and have the strut replaced. Ill keep you posted.