Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

brown coolant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Apr 2009, 07:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

brown coolant

I've just bought my car as i'm sure some of you are aware, the other day i was giving the engine a quick look over when i undone the radiator cap i noticed the water was realy dirty and brown i was thinking of giving it a good flush through and some fresh anti-freeze but i'm worried i might open a can of worms and the coolant starts finding its way out of places it shouldn't, what do you think i should do?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2009, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: brown coolant

First thing I thought was head gasket as sounds like you may have oi in your coolant.

Get it changed either way, but would also advise getting engine checked just to be on the safe side.

Havea look at this thread that Darren wrote for blown gasket symptoms;

HEAD GASKET BLOWN SYMPTOMS
Old 16 Apr 2009, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Was thinking the same Wayne to hopefully it isnt blown. How long the coolant in the car? and whats your mileage? on odd occcasion if coolant never changed it can go a dirty brown but would really be the case if it were in their with a lot of mileage and never changed from the car first day since it was new

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 16 Apr 2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Thanks for the replies and i hope its not the head gasket as I've only just brought it, the car has been standing for about three years before i brought it so i was thinking this could be the reason as there's no sign of gunk in the oil or filler cap and it stays at the normal temperature all the time and I've driven it a good 300 miles since buying it last week. I'm going to get it to a tuner soon as and get everything checked out properly.

thanks again.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 09:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickyboy View Post
Thanks for the replies and i hope its not the head gasket as I've only just brought it, the car has been standing for about three years before i brought it so i was thinking this could be the reason as there's no sign of gunk in the oil or filler cap and it stays at the normal temperature all the time and I've driven it a good 300 miles since buying it last week. I'm going to get it to a tuner soon as and get everything checked out properly.

thanks again.
Hi

If your scoob was stood up for such a long time without running or hardly running... I strongly advise you to have all the fluids changed asap... engine coolant flush, oil flush, hydraulic fluids, diffs etc etc

Coolant is made up of three main components

A water softener/conditioner
Anti Freeze (alcohol)
Water

Each one of the above needs to do its bit... Water to carry away the heat, Anti Freeze to stop ice crystals forming and conditioner to make your hair look nice.... ok only joking the conditioner reduces the acidity of the water it inhibits corrosion and helps to keep your water pump and radiator from clogging up with gunge... Its important to have the right mix of fresh coolant flowing and not sitting... the mix degrades over time so needs replacing at the correct service intervals, even if the engine has not run, in fact sitting is worse!

Get those fluids changed!

Moto man says... "if you look after the car... the car will look after you!"

Good luck hope nothing else has happened.... would be good idea to change your hoses as well as they may have started to rot

Hope this helps... now taking my Anorak off again

Nobby
Old 18 Apr 2009, 01:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

^
What a GEEK!

Did have a chuckle at the Moto (motto?) man bit.

Very good info though and excellent advice. Agree 100 %. Get those fluids changed asap if it's stood that long.

- Engine oil
- coolant
- Gearbox oil
- Diff oil
- Brake fluid
- clutch fluid

Will be pricey but a lot cheaper than any potential damage caused by leaving the old fluids in there.
Old 18 Apr 2009, 02:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Great advice Nobby. Say that the reason dickyboy for the brown coolant so no wonder off the road for 3years as nobby says I do all that should be perfect then
Old 18 Apr 2009, 06:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Thanks again for all the good advice, especially from nobby, but i dont need the conditioner, i'm bald as a coot, What would be the best coolant to use and where would i get it from, as for the other fluids, the brake fluid is being done today as i'm going to be replacing the rear callipers, the oil's on the cards for next weekend, gearbox oil, could someone tell me where the drain plug is and is the oil filled through the drain plug or is there a specific filling point??

Thanks again you guys are proper helping me out here
Old 18 Apr 2009, 09:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Hi.

The best coolant to use is a ethylean-glycol basis coolant 50/50 mix. Fill the oil in the hole where the gearbox dipstick is.

Old 18 Apr 2009, 05:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

And they a 22mm bolt bottom of box to drop oil think it a 22mm bolt