Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Possible mods to a 97 Impreza

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jun 2004, 03:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Possible mods to a 97 Impreza

Hey everyone. I have a 97 Impreza and am very happy with it. But of course I have the extreme itch of souping it up some. I'm new to all the engine mods and things such as that and really don't have any knowledge of the modifications possible. I was wondering if any of you guys could offer some simple and inexspensive ( a couple hundred dollars tops right now) mods that I could do to give my car a boost it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2004, 06:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Welcome to the site m8

As suggested by the thread below, the best possible mod for the car will be DeCat D/Pipe, cheap enough to do and gives you that extra BHP.... check out this thread..

http://www.subaru-impreza.org/subaru...opic.php?t=466
Old 15 Jun 2004, 06:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Big E
welcome to the site m8 :arrow: :arrow: Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:33 am

on here early enough then :shock:
Old 15 Jun 2004, 08:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Welcome to the site - well as Gareth has stated a Decat D/Pipe would give you quite a performance increase You can also uprate the induction into the car - an uprated panel filter usually helps a bit and again they dont cost the earth
Old 15 Jun 2004, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
Welcome aboard

Go with the above and you wont go wrong.

buzz
Old 15 Jun 2004, 09:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

welcome to the site mate

and yes deffo start with the zaust
Old 15 Jun 2004, 10:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Send a message via MSN to stevehulluk
i'm still confused as to which exhaust to get afterburner, ninja or just go to powerflow and get them to build one for the car. mot concerns me though if i de cat the exhaust
Old 15 Jun 2004, 10:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

i have a Ninja b/b well pleased with the sound of it
Old 15 Jun 2004, 11:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Steve you need to get yourself along to a meet and listen to some Scooby Zorsts

I am very very pleased with the H&S - the car really does sound like a bleeding rally car now and its only a 3.5" tail pipe. The Ninja is also a good un.

I just wished you lived nearby mate and I'd give you a demo
Old 15 Jun 2004, 11:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

i really wish i could get to one m8, they all seem like 200 miles or so away p**ses me off . feel like an outsider to you lot :? . no scooby scene here
Old 19 Jun 2004, 01:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

My first thoughts before any serious engine upgrades are carried out, is you have to be able to stop the car first. So, are your calipers and disc, along with pads up to the job. Consider replacing the origanal rubber brake hose's for braided ones. Amaizing the differance these will make. Next the suspension. New droplinks perhaps!!!! Then on to the engine. The world's your oyster here. A few gauges worth consideration to monitor whats going on under the bonnet, oil temp, oil pressure, boost gauge and knocklink monitor. Now you can see whats going on then i feel the times right to have a few engine upgrades. Where do you start? How deeps your pocket?

So a quick recap them :wink:

Start with brakes
then suspension
then engine gauges
then engine mods

imho to many people are in to much of a hurry to increase power before all the basics are in place. Food for thought.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 02:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

very good point mate, thats 1 reason i never tailgate somebody close behind. you never know how good the person in fronts brakes are, before you know it bang up there arse and your car destroyed
Old 21 Jun 2004, 03:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Yes Rokay some very good points there mate

Just a shame a big brake conversion cost such alot of money I have the 2 pot brakes and they are awful well actually they are frighting been keeping my eyes open for a secondhand 4 pots but they're like rocking horse poo.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 05:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokay
My first thoughts before any serious engine upgrades are carried out, is you have to be able to stop the car first. So, are your calipers and disc, along with pads up to the job. Consider replacing the origanal rubber brake hose's for braided ones. Amaizing the differance these will make. Next the suspension. New droplinks perhaps!!!! Then on to the engine. The world's your oyster here. A few gauges worth consideration to monitor whats going on under the bonnet, oil temp, oil pressure, boost gauge and knocklink monitor. Now you can see whats going on then i feel the times right to have a few engine upgrades. Where do you start? How deeps your pocket?

So a quick recap them :wink:

Start with brakes
then suspension
then engine gauges
then engine mods

imho to many people are in to much of a hurry to increase power before all the basics are in place. Food for thought.

Yes but i think it was only a small power increase :? no need to upgrade the brakes unless your going on track.

Exhaust first if only for the noise :wink:
Old 21 Jun 2004, 07:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to cat17
newby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehulluk
i really wish i could get to one m8, they all seem like 200 miles or so away p**ses me off . feel like an outsider to you lot :? . no scooby scene here
Steve - all you gotta do is get to Alton on 12th September - just think of all the exhausts you will see an hear then eh :wink:

Welcome to the site Subie - go for the exhaust first, that was the first real mod we did after changing the crappy wheels we had on our Cat - get an Afterburner Vortex - you will not be disappointed extra bhp and the sound is fantastic imho