Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Piston Replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Mar 2009, 02:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Piston Replacement

Hi all,

I have a V3 STI which is killing me with piston slap!

I know, or at least i've been told that there's no need to worry and that this is a common problem on scoobs contrary to other people telling me that it will eventually land me in engine rebuild territory, which is somewhere i'd rather avoid!

I have been told that Subaru fixed any cars under warranty by replacing the affected piston (think it's usually No 4 on the V3s) and was thinking of going down this route myself, which is pretty costly for something that may or may not harm the engine but better safe than sorry.

I see that GGR sell single pistons and piston rings for around 300 each but don't know if I should go for a larger forged one or standard size.

Has anyone tried this in the past or know of anyone whose gone down this road? I would be interested to hear any feedback ie advantages/potential problems/ if there's anything else I need to consider etc if I do go ahead with replacement.

Thanks folks,

Steve
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2009, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: Piston Replacement

I hear of this piston slap is fairly common in imprezas alrite but wants the noise goes away when engine warmed up I wouldnt worry about it cause when the piston cold it contracts(shrinks) and warmed up it expands they prob is a small bit of wear their but as I said when its warm the engine the noise should go away its when the noise is their when engine fully warmed up I consider a rebuild hope that helps
Offline   Reply With Quote