Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Damage to big end on rollingroad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Feb 2009, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Damage to big end on rollingroad?

Hello all.
Have any of you ever heard og damage to the big end bearings on a rollingroad. Caused by bad cooling of the intercooler (top mounted). I am especially talking about the impreza 1999-2000 turbo models.
Thx. Henrik.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2009, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Damage to big end on rollingroad?

Tbh not something I've heard of, but can't see any reason why it couldn't happen. If the intercooler isn't getting the airflow it needs then intake temps are gonna get very high pretty quick and i can't imagine that that is doing your engine much good.
Old 22 Feb 2009, 05:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Yes i theory i get it (with help from the danish subaru club) But i need to find an example, by some one that have tried it before. The ppl. who testet it, did it with the bonnet open, and no special cooling on the TMIC. And they deny that it would kill the engine. The blame the engine, Because I changed shortblock a month back. But the engine ran whit no problems before. But that is jut my word against theres. I had driven the car about 2200Km before I went on the dyno. But the problem is that the impreza is a some what rare car in Denmark. So not many of the professionals car builders/tuners have any real knolege of that kind of car. So it is not easy to get backed up that way.
Old 22 Feb 2009, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Did they not have a fan for cooling? Where i get mine mapped, they have a huge fan. Did you put a new oil pump in when you changed the block? These are prone to failing...
Old 22 Feb 2009, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

There was a fan cooling to the radiator. But they left my bonnet open so the scoop couldn't very well do its job. There was no separat cooling to the intercooler. So I guess the air just flyes right over. I got the short block from a fellow member of the danish club. The oil pump and big end bearings had all been upgraded. But it had been running 4000Km before I got it. But again it ran fine the 2000km I had it in.
Old 22 Feb 2009, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Found this a while back which may interest you-were definately something i wouldnt have thought of during a rebuild

Subaru Impreza Oil Cooler 92 on Genuine Subaru
Old 23 Feb 2009, 01:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

i can't see wht the big end bearings would be damaged on it, if air flow is an issue on the intercooler then the inlet temps are gonna start to climb very rapidly.

a decent RR should be connecting up sensors to the car to check it during the run and be able to spot this and back off way way before a serious mechanical fault happens. bear in mind though that anytimne you drive the car on a road or RR you can have an engine go bang on you for any number of reasons

oil temps might cause some serious issues if left unchecked