Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Help with my RB5?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2004, 02:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Help with my RB5?

Hi there,

Wondering if any of you can help me out? My 99' RB5 is playing up slightly, when i accelerate in 2nd-5th i can olnly reach 3K RPM before the car starts juddering, like its restricted or hesitating. It isn't smooth at all.

Any ideas?

Richie
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2004, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

RB5 mmmmmmmm (Homer Style) cracking car that... I'm no expert at this but could you let us know if this happens all the time? or is it when its Cold or Warm etc? Do you Octane Boost?(i.e. have you used engine cleaner at all) is it only 2nd and 5th?

Thanks RB5 Richie for registering with us. Hope you enjhoy your stay and lets hop someone can help in your question.

Thanks

Gareth
Old 25 Apr 2004, 02:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Sorry about that, a bit vague on the problem. It happens whilst both warm & cold. I have never used octane boost before, although i use nothing else but Shell Optimax. It doesnt happen seem to happen in 1st, but then i'm a bit of a softy and snick it into 2nd straight away... then once in 2nd as you reach 3/3.5K RPM it looses its umph and its the same in 3rd,4th & 5th especially on the motorway.

Hope this helps

Richie
Old 25 Apr 2004, 03:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Hi Richie - firstly lovely car mate secondly this could be a number of problems...

I am thinking possibly Plugs, Boost Control Solenoid/Boost Pipework, Sensors ? Can you let me know the following:

1) When were you Spark plugs last changed and what ones do you use ?
2) Do you do oil changes yourself ? Either way is the oil level on the dispstick right at the top (max) ?
3) Do you get the Check ECU light illuminate when this problem happens
4) Does it do it all the time regardless of hot/cold warm/ wet conditions ?
5) Do you have a Boost Gauge fitted ?
Old 25 Apr 2004, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi mate,

1) Spark plugs were changed @ 42,471miles (44300 now) not sure which oneswere used as i didnt own it back then.
2) Dont do the oil changes myself, but the dipstick is spot on with level of oil.
3) The ECU light doesnt illuminate.
4) It happens at all times, regardless of conditions.
5) No boost gauge.

Hope this helps

Richie
Old 25 Apr 2004, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

OK mate - by the looks of things I wouldn't imagine its your plugs etc - cos you would have noticed it as soon as you had it serviced. I am thinking more along the lines of MAF sensor or maybe another sensor ? Have you tried checking your ECu for fault codes??

You can do this by connecting 2 black connectors that live at the bottom of your steering column. If you crawl into drivers side footwell (best to do this on your back) and look up at the bottom of the steering column you should see a set of black plugs and a set of green plugs (they may well be taped) Connect the 2 black plugs and then turn your ignition oin as if to start the car but dont actually start it. Next you are looking to check for any ECU fault codes. You willl know if you have any faults cos the ECU flashes intermitantly rather than a steady 1 second continual flash (hope this makes sense) If you get the intermittant flashing then come back to me and I'll explain how to decipher the codes. I don't wanna tell you to suck eggs but I assume you have checked the boost pipework for leaks etc ?? Another thought is this could be that startings of a failing MAF sensor so take it easy whilst driving with the hesitation/juddering....

Hope this helps ?
Old 25 Apr 2004, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Can you take a look at the sevice history and see what plugs were fitted ?? Its just what you are explaining reminds me of a problem that I had when I fitted NGK Iridiums. My car wouldn't pull etc. and felt as if it was mis-firing. I refitted the originals and car was fine. Purchased the same replacements as the originals and no problems

How is the idle on your motor ?? is it uneven? Does the car try to stall at junctions ?
Sorry for throwing all these questions at you Richie, I'm just trying to figure out what this could be
Old 25 Apr 2004, 06:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I have had a good look around the pipework, i cant see anything obvious. I will go and attempt the ECU reading now. I do believe RB5's suffer with MAF failure alot? It's a good job i love the car so much :wink:

Thanks for your help pal, it's greatly appreciated. The other forums havent really been that useful.

Richie.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 06:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Richies - no problem at all mate. Iknow exactly how you feel and have spent many a cold night in the engine bay sorting out my Scoobs.

Just a thought but I do have a spare MAF sensor - it is an old one but works fine. I have cleaned it up and would be more than happy to ship it to you for you to try and see if it works ? This will at least save you from having to shell out 70 to replace it via the delaers.

and

Yes you are quite correct about MAF's - it can however be a common ocurrence on MY99/00 Scoobies that have this very fragile MAF sensor. I changed my sensor not long after I got the car just in case only to find out there was nothing wrong with it cos the car ran the same. I assume you are not running an Induction Kit ?? cos this is know to cause major problems with MAF sensors.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 06:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Dont worry about the questions buddy, really. I'm just as anxious to sort this problem out. The S/H doesnt say which plugs were fitted i'm affraid. But the car behaves well at idle and at junctions, no signs of stalling.

Richie
Old 25 Apr 2004, 06:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I'm not running any induction kit matey, the car is completely standard bar the exhaust which i had the dealership fit last week before i picked it up.

It would be fantastic if you could send me the spare MAF buddy, i will let the dealership have a look at it and if they say it;s the MAF then i will PM you. That is really good of you mate.

Thanks

Richie
Old 25 Apr 2004, 07:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator

Nelson, thanks from me too for all your help on this one. Richie, hope things work out for the fantasic RB5...

I'm sure theres not much to worry about... Do you have extended warrenty on it? Or has that expired?

Gareth
Old 25 Apr 2004, 07:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Luckily i have 3 months warranty on it, but it's not a main Subaru dealership i bought it from... so i will have to see if a bit of negotiation will work. Subaru fix - Other garage pick up costs kind of thing... We'll see.

Unfortunately i'm going to bo offline till friday so i will post when i'm home and let you know how things work out. Smoothly i hope.

Many thanks, this is one hell of a website. I would gladly put a MASSIVE sticker of my car advertising it

And Nelson, i bow down! You've been a god send.

Richie
Old 25 Apr 2004, 07:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Administrator

Get it checked out too! If the warrenty is there its best to use it up now while you can!... Have a good week, speak next weekend.... Let us know how it goes.

All the best

Gareth
Old 25 Apr 2004, 09:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
RRH
Young Scooby

It's going to be MAF sensor related or boost control solenoid, which will prob have been caused by too much oil.

try cleaning the boost control solenoid with some brake / clutch cleaner spray. You can also try cleaning the MAF with this. If the MAF needs replacing you can buy the insert separately for about 70, don't stand for dealers telling you that you need the full unit at 200+

As Nelson said, basically :wink: