Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

newbie needs help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Feb 2009, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

newbie needs help

hi there i have a 1999 wrx sti v5 when my car is idleing it is missing i booked it into the garage they said it was the throttle position sensor so i fitted a new one and it was still the same since then i have changed plugs, leads, labamba,throttle posistion sensor, crank sensor,camshaft sensor ,coil pack,air flow maf sensorand it is still doing it i changed the down pipe to a decat not sure if that might be the problem as i have never had it remaped can any one help as it is doing my head in picky
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2009, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: newbie needs help

Mine is doing the same thing at the moment and I also can't find the fault. Seems like you've checked/replaced all the usual suspects. However, you say you haven't had it re-mapped after a full decat so that may well be the issue. My car is 100% stock so can't say for sure, but it is defeintely a real possibilty and I'm sure someone with a decat will be along to help you out. Also have you had it mapped for UK fuel? Here we have 100 Ron fuell which you can't get in the UK, highest you get is 99 Ron (i think) so you'll need to map your car to run on UK fuel. At the very least you'll need to use an octane booster if you are not doing so already.

UKdave posted a link regarding the IACV, worth a look as this could be your problem. haven't got round to cleaning mine yet as haven't had the time but will be doing it shortly.

Cleaning And Reattaching The IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) - NASIOC

Last edited by rikimaru; 14 Feb 2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 14 Feb 2009, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Clutching at straws check your earth leads-battery to chassis/chassis to engine etc never took much notice on mine as never had any probs though on other cars ive had dealings with that have had average to poor earths due to corrosion has caused all kinds of problems.

Can remember on lee`s RS nearly burning me hand off one night when it started acting up-grabbed hold of the earth lead from battery to chassis an it were red hot due to poor connection,got a new earth lead next day an it were sound after that.

Aint definately saying thats the prob here but aint a expensive thing to look at to rule out.
Old 14 Feb 2009, 06:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

As Dave said above and Id clean the idle air control valve(iacv) to