Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

03 sti knocking noise?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Feb 2009, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

03 sti knocking noise?

can any one tell me what the knocking noise could be coming from the fornt drivers corner of my 03 sti its only whilst turning it sounds like the shocker but doesnt make the noise when going over bumps it also does not sound like the drive shaft or cv joint i dont want to spend 650 on a coilover kit and the noise to still be there its driving me mad! i have had it jacked up and there doesnt seem to be any play in anything!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2009, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: 03 sti knocking noise?

Did you try for play in balljoints and drop links and when car stopped try to push down the suspension from the top of shock under bonnet as if you push down on wing you might dent it a friend of mine dented his before by pushing down on it panel is very light try that to see if you can hear a knocking as if this is the case you know it suspension then and can get to bottom of the problem then as you say turning aswell try for play in the steering track rod end on that balljoint

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 07 Feb 2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07 Feb 2009, 07:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Jack the front end up and shine a light up to the top of the strut and check the spring isnt broke, changed a couple on other cars in this last yr,lees pug were broke on the last coil,if not that could be the bearing on your strut between spring "cap" if ya like and top mount itself.
Old 08 Feb 2009, 06:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

cheers for that i have tried the pushing down and no noises i have checked all joints and springs, i know what you mean by when a spring has broken at the top and it is that exact noise that is coming from it but the spring is fine i have taken the top cap off and filled the bearing with grease and that seems to have made the noise a little better for about an hour then it came back are those bearings a subaru dealer only part? one more thing where is the cheapest place to get the basic tein coilovers from?
Old 08 Feb 2009, 09:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Pretty sure they`re dealer only.
Old 25 Feb 2009, 03:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I have this same problem on same side, it only knocks when i go down a hole but doesnt do it going over speed bumps, car also trys to pull to the right,

I took it to guy in glasgow he checked everything, wishones, drop-links and springs are fine but it appears their is movement in the o/s driveshaft, didnt know this would cause a knocking noise but going to replace it anyway, hopefully that will fix it, either that or my diff's fooked.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 01:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

yet again i have jacked it up and checked everything,there is definately no play in anything at all i`m sure it can`t be the d/shft on mine and hope it`s not the diff, driveshafts tend to click more than knock when they have gone but it`s worth a try let me know if the new shaft stops it.