Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

HELP!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Apr 2004, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to cat17
HELP!!!!!!

Since I had my interim service just over a month ago, every now and again I go to get in the car, turn the key and the alarm goes off and the car is completely dead. Any ideas what could be causing it? It is annoying as the car was perfectly fine before it had the "oil change" :x

Thing is I have a totally unreliable motor at the moment, if I had to go anywhere in an emergency I wouldn't know whether it would start or not!

Best go and put the battery on charge yet again
Old 15 Apr 2004, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

This may sound really stupid but exactly the same thing was happening with me until canged the battery in the remote and that seemed to cure it? Is it the immobilser - like got to press the remote whilst sitting in the seat when the alarm is going off?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2004, 05:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

help

Thanx Gareth, that makes sense really, cos, the alarm does go off when I press the immoboliser!! Thankfully I've got me ped to go to Halfords tomorrow after work to get a new battery (hope they do them there?).

One question though, why does it start when the battery has been charged overnight? Do you think it's because the immoboliser battery has had a rest :?:
Old 15 Apr 2004, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Sorry cant answer the battery thingy, but please make sure you nod when going to halfors tommorow
Old 15 Apr 2004, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Sorry to hear about your problem Cat - just another thought, it could well be that your battery is not tip top ?? I know of at least 3 Scooby owners who found that there alarm would sound on their car when the battery was on its last legs. Something to do with a security feature of the alarm picking up on the fact that there was very little power from the battery (just like someone disconnecting it). This would make sense why you don't have the problem after its been recharged. How old is your battery ?
Old 16 Apr 2004, 07:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

help

Hi Nelson, think the battery is the original - so 7 years old! How long do batteries last these days? Think I will try the key fob battery first, then if that don't cure it will have to fork out for a new battery. What make battery do you have in your motor? Ours has got a Hitachi.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 07:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Battery thing sounds right, they recover a bit when left alone. Also when the power is so low, the alarm can trip - it should have a threshold below which it assumes tampering is happening. Happened to a m8s bike, the alarm itself makes a small drain & he didn't use the bike much - hence batt never got a good charge, dropped down, alarm goes orff...

I'm off to halford too in a mo if i see any peds i'll be sure 2 nod...!!
Old 16 Apr 2004, 02:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

No probs with the advice Cat..

Um well a battery still going strong after 7 years I'd say is doing bl00dy well Could well be that this is your problem...as for what battery I have in mine - I don't know to be honest ?? I do know it was changed by Subaru after 3 years (its in the Service history) so I guess its whatever they use ?
Old 24 Apr 2004, 10:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

help

Just thought best to tell you got the battery problem sorted - bought a new one in the end and (touch wood) no problems since. 60 OUCH
Old 25 Apr 2004, 07:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Excellent, glad the problem is sorted.

Nothing worse than sitting in you car battling against the sound of the alarm :shock: (thats happend to me) - like you pull up next to a bunch of people who are admiring the car..... When you go to get in the alarm goes off and then you cant turn it off for seems like hours! (only about 20 seconds really) :shock:
Old 25 Apr 2004, 11:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

help

Yeah, it was a tad embarrassing ops: ops: ops: ops:
Old 25 Apr 2004, 03:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Glad to hear you got it sorted Cat Nice one
Old 26 Apr 2004, 03:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Cat it sounds like your poor old stock battery was just tired. And 7 years is a long life for a battery. I'm glad you got the problem fixed.

My first car was a '87 VW Jetta (it was my dad's old car) and occasionally when I would put the car in reverse (???) the horn would beep! And sometimes the car would make loud squealing noises when the wheel was turned. Talk about being embarrassed! It was hard to impress the ladies like that. ops: ops: ops: