Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

... still idling funny...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Feb 2009, 01:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

... still idling funny...

Howdy all,

Couple of things niggling away at me and my V3 STi:

When starting cold, there is a knocking sound coming from the engine (sounds a bit like a diesel!!). Once warmed up she's fine though, any ideas what this could be?? Car's basically standard (couple of rad hoses). ... if this is piston slap (as one of the lads has advised); is it serious and can it be cured?? I'm running her on the Irish equivalent of Tesco 99 (E5 - 5% bioethanol).

I'm also having intermittant problems when idling; every so often she fluctuates between 500 & 1000 rpm and is accompanied by a loudish ticking sound. On inspection, it sounds like it's coming from the boost solenoid which is also vibrating. Will this need to be replaced and is buying 2nd hand an option?

I had it in for a service not long back and the guy ran a diagnostics on her too as I have had this idling issue for a while now. Lambda sensor came up faulty so the factory downpipe was put back on (probably better off as she wasn't mapped after the downpipe was installed - couldn't afford an ECU or Lambda sensor for that matter). Could there be anything else affecting this?

Cheers.....
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2009, 04:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: ... still idling funny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie3000 View Post
I'm also having intermittant problems when idling; every so often she fluctuates between 500 & 1000 rpm and is accompanied by a loudish ticking sound. On inspection, it sounds like it's coming from the boost solenoid which is also vibrating. Will this need to be replaced and is buying 2nd hand an option?....
Could try cleaning the idle air control valve if that dont help it it could be the maf sensor did you change the o2 sensor on the downpipe no are you having any problems with boost????

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 03 Feb 2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03 Feb 2009, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: ... still idling funny...

sounds like either piston slap (they all do that sir - nowt to worry about if only when cold)
...or as in my case its apparently due to having a Legacy engine fitted which has some kind of oil pickup issue .....switch off and then back on cures this!