Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Advice on changing turbo intake pipe 02 one for silicone one???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jan 2009, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Advice on changing turbo intake pipe 02 one for silicone one???

Ok so as you all know ive had some strange boost noises.... Well today I put a new dump valve on and I still get the first noise but the foghorn sound does seem to have dissapeared( for now!!!)

I have contacted a friend and he seems to maybe think it could still be a leak on the turbo intake pipe.. Well I had replaced all the rest with silicone ones so thought I might as well go for a full house and change this one,

My friend has kindly given me some advice on removing the old one( trash it) and the new silicone one should twist in.....

Just thought I would post to see if any one else has any other tips for getting the old one out and popping the silicone one in?? Or any ones thought on the noise its still making????

Im going to do it next week so plenty of time for advice guys.

Cheers

Steve
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2009, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: Advice on changing turbo intake pipe 02 one for silicone one???

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadey99 View Post
Just thought I would post to see if any one else has any other tips for getting the old one out and popping the silicone one in?? Or any ones thought on the noise its still making????

Im going to do it next week so plenty of time for advice guys.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve.

Link: 1 http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/bes..._ic-t5660.html

Link: 2 http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/ins...pce-t5860.html

Link: 3 http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sam...ipe-t1219.html

Old 30 Jan 2009, 01:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi mate

thanks for those, should make it pretty straight forward.

Steve
Old 31 Jan 2009, 03:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

I just did mine recently and purchased the silicone intake from RCM. It is a very straightforward job to do and will twist and squeeze in no probs. The old nasty black hard plastic one should be cut out and thrown away!! If you don't cut it to remove it you will have to remove the intake manifold and that's a pain. It will make a difference though and you should see over 8-10bhp improvement in power straight away without even mapping for it. Once you've mapped it should be even better!!

Are you using an aftermaket vent to atmosphere BOV or the std OEM recirculating type. The std OEM type is very good and very efficient, and should not be replaced with an aftermarket BOV unless you are making lots of power or just happen to like the PSSSHHHHHTTT noise which will become really annoying within a short space of time!!
Old 31 Jan 2009, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi mate

wow thats some power difference.... How come that much extra power???

Im using a bov at the mo but thinking off going back to re-circ valve as got a standard one.

Steve
Old 31 Jan 2009, 06:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

8-10bhp is par for the course if you also have the smooth induction pipe going from the turbo inlet hose to the airbox and a high flow air filter. The OEM turbo inlet is very restrictive and causes turbulence all the way along. The silicone version has a wider diameter at it's widest pont and is nice and smooth all the way through. That in itself makes a huge difference just to how much nicer the car drives.

When logging i immediately noticed the peak flow of air during a 3rd gear WOT run had gone up by 10g/s, and that was before i even started mapping for it. That's worth about 10bhp at the wheels with my setup which is about 12bhp at the flywheel, however every setup is different and you may not see as much as that but you will definately get a decent improvement that should be noticeable just with normal driving. You might see a fraction more boost (if you have a gauge) or feel it when you're driving normally and possibly earlier or generally slightly quicker turbo spool up.

I hope it works out well for you.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 06:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

My car is pretty standard except hi flow air filter, I have already changed all the rad pipes for silicone ones and the intercooler hoses, I have a loud hissing when on boost so have changed all pipes except the turbo intake one so hopefully with the gain in power plus the new pipe not leaking boost anymore it should be a huge difference.

I have only got the standard plastic pipe to airbox but will look at buying a silicone one, anyone know where to get one in the uk?

Thanks for all the advice guys

Steve
Old 07 Jun 2010, 02:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Flexible it may be and easy to fit yes, but flexible is not always a good thing.

With a bigger and more efficient turbo that boosts into the high 20's+ psi there is the possibility (and it does happen) that the turbo inlet pipe will collapse on boost. The best turbo inlet pipe for any front mount (OE) fitted turbo is a hard pipe. No danger then of the pipe collapsing on a big boosting turbo with the only drawback being that you have to remove the inlet manifold to fit it, but then once it's in, it's in.