Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

03 STi Suspension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Apr 2004, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

03 STi Suspension

I've got a '03 UK (well, UK spec) STi. Considering the anti-lift kit/ springs/ stiffer anti-roll bar thing. I'm interested to know just how much this improves the car, whether it makes it a bit lift-off tail happy - the anti-roll bar recommended is a 24mm but I've heard this can be a bit extreme for the road.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2004, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Hi qb

Don't know if your familiar with the Japanese Performance magazine but in the march issue there is a pretty comprehensive article on suspension pros and cons. It's a really good read.
I'm thinking of going for a stiffer anti-roll bar and possibly poly bushes hoping this will make my steering a bit more responsive around corners.

I can't answer your question but that article will

good luck
Old 08 Apr 2004, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Young Scooby

From what i have heared there was a massive improvment made to the anti roll bar after the my97 version but even now there is still room for improvement. Most things i have read say that is does reduce the understeer allowing for harder acceleration out of the corner and makes for solid fast conering.... if its fast corners you likw (who doesnt :P ) then its a worthwhile purchase... I cant comment further as i have not fitted these mods.... (Still reading up on them )
Old 11 Apr 2004, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Cheers for the reply chaps. What I can tell you is that you'll notice an immediate improvement simply by fitting metal anti-roll bar links on the rear. I did it first on my MY00 2000 Turbo (which was nicked last year, incidentally) and then on my '03 STi. However, it's not enough! The edges of my tyres are a mess and it does try to go straight on so I'm looking at what I can do. If you're interested, the Whilteline site has loads of stuff - www.whiteline.com.au
Old 11 Apr 2004, 03:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Thank qb, the whitleline site is cool. like the project cars

Sorry to hear about the MY00 car being nicked - cant say ive experienced that yet but i'm sure other forum users will knwo what thats like :cry:

Where you from anyway?
Old 15 Apr 2004, 07:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: 03 STi Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by qb
I've got a '03 UK (well, UK spec) STi. Considering the anti-lift kit/ springs/ stiffer anti-roll bar thing. I'm interested to know just how much this improves the car, whether it makes it a bit lift-off tail happy - the anti-roll bar recommended is a 24mm but I've heard this can be a bit extreme for the road.
The ALK kit will make the car ride much harsher. Several NASIOC members have taken their ALK's off after a short time.

Lowered springs will give you a nicer stance, and a lower center of gravity. In my research, I found the Eibach Pros to be the best setup for the WRX. They don't lower the car as much as some springs, but they provide a more "streetable" ride quality than most. The Sti pinks are a great chioce, too. The Eibachs are a progressive wound spring, but the Sti's are not. Of course, if you have the cash...I'd go with a good set of coilovers.

If I were you, I'd get an adjustable rear sway so you can experiment with the understeer/oversteer thing. The Whiteline adjustableswaybar is perfectly fine. But, I recommend you get heavy duty sway bar mounts if you go with the large diameter bar. I know some folks who have sheared their mounts when using bars 22mm and larger.

Gareth...the poly bushings will definitely improve handling and responsiveness...but they too add a great deal of harshness to the ride. Personally, I wouldn't recommend them for the street...unless you wear a kidney belt when you drive. :wink:

Richard
Old 15 Apr 2004, 10:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Interesting post this.....on my prev MY93 WRX I was running with the following suspension setup:

Anti-Lift Kit
Bumpsteer Mod and full Geometry Setup
Uprated Rear Drop Links
Uprated adjustable Rear Roll Bar

These mods made the car handle like it was on rails.......the ride was quite firm but for me the handling of the car is very important. The Bumpsteer and Geometry setup gave me so much feedback into what was going on with the car and the Anti-Lift kit is a definite purchase if you want to stop the nose from lifting each time you are a little too heavy with your right foot I never adjusted the Rear Roll Bar but the previous owner did have the Roll Bar set to make the car a little tail happy....this wasn't for me however.

For my current car I am going to fit the same mods as they really do enhance an already good suspension setup Anti-lift Kit, Bumpsteer Mod and geometry setup, front and rear Drop Links and Uprated Rear Roll bar. To be fair my car already has the uprated Prodrive Suspension so that is something I don't need to buy.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 04:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Been away for a few days . . . more postings I see.

Since I last posted a reply I've read an article on the Type 25 produced by Powerstation for Litchfield Imports. The suspension setup was very highly rated - better than the WR1 (the new Subaru limited edition). Apparently they've put 22mm anti roll bars front and rear, ALK and adjustable AST shock absorbers all round. According to the review they've managed to get a combination of great handling without too much ride harshness. Trouble is it's a grand for the shocks. Think I'm gonna do it bit by bit starting with 22mm antiroll bars front and rear. Will let anyone who's interested know what each mod brings.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 05:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Hello,

would be a good idea to document each fit (+ take photos if you can) something like that is great to help and aid future modders... I dont mind writing up the documents if you take the pictures and send them in?

good to see a documented mod - maybe worth making a forum area dedicated to documentation.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 09:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
RRH
Young Scooby

try setting the geometry properly first as it will make a hell of a difference. I have the tarmac seetings at work if you want them let me know.

I really would do this before spending money on unprated ARBs as they can make it very twitchy tbh :wink: