Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

transfer box , question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jan 2009, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

transfer box , question

alright guy,s ,,
ive recently purchaced a 94 uk turbo wagon ,,
its got quite a bad whine from the gearbox
looking through the history the rear callipers have been unsiezed 3 times in the last 3 years ,, and suprisingly they are siezed now ,, or at least they are binding
quite badly ,, my question is... would the fact that the callipers have been siezed . and i and the previuose owner drove with siezed binding brakes .
would this lead to the diff wearing out or the transfer box wearing out??

the reason i ask is that my m8 has a transfer box for sale and im trying to fix me car on a budget ,, for time and money so i was just wondering if the brake fault would lead to a gearbox fault over time ??

i hope this makes sense ,, lol ,, any responce would be greatfully recieved ,
cheers in advance .. mike
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2009, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: transfer box , question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowr1d3r View Post
alright guy,s ,,
ive recently purchaced a 94 uk turbo wagon ,,
its got quite a bad whine from the gearbox
looking through the history the rear callipers have been unsiezed 3 times in the last 3 years ,, and suprisingly they are siezed now ,, or at least they are binding
quite badly ,, my question is... would the fact that the callipers have been siezed . and i and the previuose owner drove with siezed binding brakes .
would this lead to the diff wearing out or the transfer box wearing out??

the reason i ask is that my m8 has a transfer box for sale and im trying to fix me car on a budget ,, for time and money so i was just wondering if the brake fault would lead to a gearbox fault over time ??

i hope this makes sense ,, lol ,, any responce would be greatfully recieved ,
cheers in advance .. mike

This whine from the box that you said did you check the level of gearbox oil in it and when was it last changed cause could be just running low on oil while your at it to id check diff oil in the rear aswell

I couldnt see you having damaged the gears in box or bearings from the brakes seizing just once you have clean fresh oil and its up to the max the box should be ok boxes and diffs are under a lot of pressure as is just moving a car from stationary position if you know where I am coming from they are very robust but thats once their is good oil in these parts the correct oil grade and up to the proper level and thats driven by a good driver and boxes can last years without rebuilds, cause in the garage where I work now and again you can hear boxes whine when they running low on oil so Id replace oil first go the smaller option first cause you would be going mad forking out for a new part and then find out it just needed oil for €15 a litre hope it helps

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 24 Jan 2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 26 Jan 2009, 01:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: transfer box , question

thanx m8 ,, im right on it ,, ile get me oil checked (changed ) first thing tomozza /
thanx for you time ,, cheers